i have a 1921 t. when you first start it,it wants to go forward? but after you run it and restart it seems to go away
Sounds like the high gear clutch plates are dragging a bit on the first start of the day due to cold oil.
If you can, when parking the car for the night, instead of applying the parking brake, put the parking brake lever fully forward and chock the wheels. This helps to keep cold oil from congealing between the high gear clutch disks when the car is parked. This has worked well for me.
You can also jack up one rear wheel prior to the first start of the day to keep the car from creeping forward and let the car back down once the engine and oil have warmed up.
Steve you really should consider joining the Corona-Riverside T club, there you will meet folks with all kinds of experience.
Ford recommended a medium light oil for the engine. That would be about SAE20 thickness today, so if you have much thicker oil a change to some cheap 10-30 could help, giving both faster lubrication to moving parts at startup and less drag in the clutch.
I used to have the same problem. Parking in high gear solved 90% of it. 5W-30 solved the other 10%.
The problem is a lot of draw on the batt, some 600 plus amps we have had the starter professedly rebuilt. I feel there something else going on. This high amp draw is burning up starter switches. I feel there a possibility of something not adjusted right or broken,any ideas?
Make sure U have a good heavy ground from frame to engine. It may help.
Big cables and a good ground.
i want to say thanks for all the info. it all help
The old trick of leaving the car in high usually takes care of creep when you start the car after a few days.
Also are your starter cables old (good)?? originals?
I installed brand new cables on my cars and they start much easier. Or so I think.
Don't know for sure if the old copper looses some of its conductivity or not but after cutting open the old cables I am now a believer in using new cables. Others may have a different opinion.
It's a good idea to always leave the car in high anyway to minimize fatiguing the spring.