How do I ground my Dash Lamp?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How do I ground my Dash Lamp?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Williamson on Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 03:55 am:

The dash lamp on my 1925 Dalgety Tourer was not connected.

It only has one wire. I tested it across the battery terminals - the wire on one terminal and the case of the lamp on the other and it works!

So I'm guessing I connect the wire to the amp meter and the case of the lamp needs to be grounded somehow. Can anyone enlighten (unintentional pun!) me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 04:44 am:

If your car has a metal instrument panel that is bolted to the body, just attach the light to the panel with 2 bolts and that will give you the earth return connection.
If you have a wood instrument panel, you need a washer soldered to a wire slipped on to one of the mounting bolts behind the nut, that gets connected to the body or the chassis to give you the earth (-)return.
If there is already a wire behind the instrument panel that goes to earth, you can connect to that. wire.
I really like the Dalgety body. Those hidden hinges and removable doors are a neat thing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Williamson on Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 04:51 am:

Thanks, Tom.
The instrument panel is timber. I'll have to have a look to see if there's a spare earth (ground) hanging around in there, otherwise I'll install one.
It's a bit tricky working under the dash. I'm not exactly thin. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 07:44 am:

can you somehow attach a small wire to the socket and then run that down somewhere on the metal part of the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 08:40 am:

Grounds are always a problem on wood framed cars, I use a dedicated #12 wire to the frame. All my turn signals, brake lamps or any other accessories are grounded through this wire, I have never had any problems. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration