Checking Thrust Clearance, Ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Checking Thrust Clearance, Ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 10:25 pm:

Originally Ruckstell used a fiber thrust washer inside the bell,P-159.. When new, they specified an .085 fiber washer. I'm assembling a near mint original Ruckstell, and it's going to need a .095" - .100" washer, and that is allowing for .005 clearance. A neat way to check the clearance is with a pointed feeler gauge, which I stick through one of the three slots in the bell. Works good. The standard Ford steel thrust washers are only about .077-.081 thick. What I did was assemble one of these Ford thrust washers in there, and then determine the added amount I will need with the pointed feeler gauge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 10:53 pm:

I believe original Ford steel thrust washers should measure out at .086 - .088. New repros are ground to .087 - .088.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration