Wining When Braking.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Wining When Braking.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Strong on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

T is making a wining type sound during braking. Seems to be getting loader. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Strong on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 08:09 pm:

Make that a whining Sound.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

Steve, some whining during braking is normal but, if the noise is getting louder I suspect that the rear axle may be ready to fail. Has the rear axle ever been rebuilt?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Strong on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

Unknown, have had car for a few years but everything to my purchase is more or less unknown.

Any thoughts on how to verify if engine vs. rear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

If you have never examined the inside of the rear axle now is the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

Steve, model T's whine during braking because the braking occurs through all components of the rear axle. The fact that the sound seems to be getting worse leads me to believe the rear axle is going south. Failure in the rear axle means no foot brake. I agree with Royce. If you do not know that the rear axle is in good shape, now is the time to go through it.

Please read this article
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration