OT USS Constellation CV 64 on last voyage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT USS Constellation CV 64 on last voyage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

The USS-Constellation left our area after being mothballed in Bremerton for many decades. I know some of you probably served on Her and would like to follow this tow to Brownsville Texas.

BREMERTON — The decommissioned aircraft carrier USS Constellation is on its last voyage, this time towed by the ocean-going tugboat Corbin Foss.

The 1,008-foot Constellation's 16,000-mile journey from Bremerton is taking the carrier around the southern tip of South America to Brownsville, Texas, where it will be scrapped.

The Corbin Foss is owned and operated by Seattle-based Foss Maritime.

The 141-foot tug originally built to tow barges to Alaska and is powered by twin diesels producing 8,000 horsepower.

Foss Maritime's blog on the carrier's final journey is at :

http://www.foss.com/uss-blog/uss-constellation-departure-bremerton

Constellation's Home Page

http://www.ussconstellation.org/connie_news.html

connie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 02:57 pm:

I was onboard the USS Constellation 1983 - 1985 Making the first deployment with the then brand new F/A-18 Hornet in 1985. I was attached to VFA-25 the "Fist of the Fleet" with the new F/A-18. VFA-113 and VFA-25 were the first fleet squadrons to debut the F/A-18. Both squadrons deployed on the Connie. The photograph above has F/A-18's lined up on both sides of the bow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

why not put a shopping mall in it or something. To much of our history getting scrapped. More money wasted on fuel to tow it around S A than the scrap will bring probably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

Mack, why are you trying to put logic into this plan? Remember, we're dealing with the U.S. government bureaucrats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

From the Connie's home page:

Five alternatives to dismantling were considered. The Navy looked into sinking the Constellation in a live-fire training exercise, but Navy policy doesn’t allow the use of aircraft carriers. Sinking it for an artificial reef wasn’t feasible because the ship’s PCB level is too high. No foreign country was interested in buying the ship. It wasn’t put up for donation as a museum because of the difficulty in recent years of organizations to raise enough money to satisfy the Navy’s requirements.

Believe it or not, so called "mothballed" ships don't just sit there for free. Once a ship reaches the point where it is clear that refitting and returning to service will never happen, then something should be done with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

My Uncle David served aboard her during the late 60s/early 70s. I still have two Zip-O lighters ha gave me years before he passed - one with an outline of the USS Constelaltion on it and another with a map of Viet Nam etched in it showing the locations of a few key cities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 05:41 pm:

I served 4 years active duty as a Catapult-Arresting Gear guy and many times on lots of the new carriers during my total 27 years of reserve duty. There are several carriers now in preserved status like the Midway, Yorktown and another in New York I believe.
If you've never been on one it is quite an experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

I became a "Trusty Shellback" aboard the Connie on 13 May, 1985. We crossed the equator at 46 35.6E. I'll leave it to you to figure out where that is. A good geography lesson. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 06:44 pm:

Looks like you were just off the coast of Somalia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mahlon hawker on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

What were you doing, sightseeing in beautiful downtown Mogadishu, Somalia?

Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

Yeah, you must have been sightseeing. Things didn't pop there until several years later. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

We actually made a port call to Mombassa, Kenya. We had just spent 105 days on station in the North Arabian Sea. We visited Mombassa for 4 days and then we headed further south to Perth for a few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

Mombassa... The garden spot of Africa. Was there on the America and again on the Midway.

Did meet some nice German tourists there. I think I still have some carved souvenirs I purchased there as well. REALLY hard wood of some kind.

Never rode the Connie but she had a good rep. Thanks to you all that have served and to those of you who supported those of us that did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

John, I still have a few of those carvings as well. Never rode the America, I visited the Midway in Japan in 1982. And yes thank you to all that have served and are serving now. I served active duty USN 1980-2001, no regrets ever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Monday, August 18, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

I stayed on the Constellation when I was in Sea Cadets in 1970 for a week. We then stayed on the base in San Diego for another week. What I remember most was the length of the flight deck and how far down to the water it was.

Had some reminiscing when we were on the Midway with the San Diego tour.

(Message edited by adminchris on August 18, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 08:36 am:

So let me get this straight... The world is pretty much on fire, especially in the middle-east and we're about to scrap a perfectly good super-carrier. Why? Because letting it sit among the rest of the Mothball Fleet is somehow intolerable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 09:03 am:

Bob,Will you be taking your model T to congress? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 10:04 am:

We have several significant ships docked in Camden/Philadelphia at the moment, the New Jersey, Olympia, Becuna, and the America to name a few. All are experiencing dire funding issues currently with the loss of State funding and declining private contributions. The cost of maintaining them is enormous and there is a very real possibility that all could be lost to time. That would almost be criminal, but I don't know what the answer is. I helped to restore an airworthy B-17 a number of years ago and though expensive to operate and maintain, at least we can offer rides (expensive rides) and tours while taking it to the people all around the country. Can't do that with a Battleship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 10:39 am:

I just noticed the Saratoga CVA60 sitting here at the navy yard in Newport RI. She looks like she was ready for the scrap yard several years ago.

Yes, Thanks to all who served and those who supported our military.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 01:36 pm:

Sickening as it is, could have went ahead and towed it to china since that is where all the scrap metal winds up anyway. What a horrible waste.Should still be in service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

Bob I was on the U.S.S. Forrestal when we went through SLEP (Service Life Extension Program) in Philadelphia in 1985 it was supposed to bring everything up to snuff and extend the life for 25 years then we got a Politician in the Oval Office who coined the phrase "Peace Dividend" and went about decimating the armed forces the Forrestal has since been scrapped long before the 25 years and he gave us the BRAC commission (Base Realignment and Closure) who's job is to save the defence department money by closing "unneeded bases" and concentrating our armed forces into localized areas..hummmm did we not learn anything at pearl harbor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

I am with you Bob, could not aggree more. It needs to be in the middle east with bombers flying in and out from it right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

An old article stating we are keeping 11 carriers.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-to-keep-11-aircraft-carriers/

If that includes the Lexington (or whoever else is the full time training carrier now) then that leaves us with 10 carrier battle groups.

That may sound like a lot but for anyone who has not been subjected to the carrier group rotation that isn't enough.

With 10 carrier battle groups you are looking at 8-10 month long deployments about every 18 months plus or minus. Everywhere there is a "hotspot" there is a carrier battle group because that is the quickest way for the US to "address" anything new that pops up out of nowhere.

I helped evacuate Viet Nam in April of 1975 onboard USS Midway and went BACK to Viet Nam on the USS Coral Sea in 1977.

Carriers are used everywhere and for everything. Watch the news. When Mt Pinatubu blew a carrier was sent. They do everything from war to humanitarian relief.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration