We are "real men".

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: We are "real men".
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 03:24 pm:

Saw this on a '59 Chevy at a car show. Good to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

Amen to that! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 04:05 pm:

Real men also don't eat quiche. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

Unfortunately this excludes the the guys with the earliest Model Ts though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

I think that makes us "real old men"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

Early T men need two pedals, two levers, two feet, and three hands

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 11:00 am:

The Chevy had a manual shift. The three pedals were clutch brake and accelerator. They weren't even thinking of the Model T when they made that sticker! Maybe they didn't even know about the pedals in a Model T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 11:12 am:

The evil accelerator pedal was brought on by that infernal crashing gear transmission. Modern cars with automatics should have a hand throttle, and save the feet for braking.

Nine people in a cafe were injured in Pacoima yesterday when a person hit the gas instead of the brake. It happens all the time. That wouldn't happen with a hand throttle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 12:09 pm:

Excellent point Ralph. It could reduce texting too. Might have to be a two handed throttle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

Several years ago in my hometown at the local grocery, two older women got into their car which was parked at the edge of, for want of a better word, "cliff", and upon starting the car, immediately revved the pedal and dropped the the car into drive sending the car airborne. When they finally came to rest, it had been determined that the car's idle had engaged and when they went down the hill, they launched the car 12 feet into the air clipping the trees on the other side of the cross street at the bottom of the hill. Both were killed on impact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

Hummm Accelerator pedal is that the same thing as a foot feed that's what granddad called that 4th pedal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

Back during the runaway Toyota rage, I wrote an argument here for outlawing foot feeds. www.SkinnedKnuckles.com picked it up.

Can't find it now...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

I used to be a telephone cable splicer. One day another splicer and I were working on a pole near the corner of an alley. A woman backed out her car from the garage onto a driveway to the street. We heard a loud screeching noise and noticed a car going very fast in reverse. The car rounded the corner and sideswiped a car, then she pushed the other splicer's car onto the curb bending both wheels on that side of the car. She proceeded down the alley and knocked down a fence and backed into her own garage from the back side (no door there). Also when she hit, she broke off the gas meter. I was the first on the scene and got her out of the car and turned off the engine. She was able to walk and when she was about 50 feet from her car, she turned back to get her purse. I didn't go back with her. Fortunately the gas co got the meter fixed before there was a fire.

The lady said, she kept pushing hard on the brake but the car just kept going faster. It is my belief that she was pushing on the accelerator. She had made a complete circle in reverse.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

I think I shared this story once before, but it fits:

In about 1942 or so my aunt purchased a used '37 Chevy. She drove it home and her dad (my grandfather) slid into the drivers seat. (Apparently she had left the engine running.) He had never driven a sliding gear transmission car, only Ford Model T's. She said to him, "Wait a minute dad and I'll show you how the gears work". He responded with something like, "I've been driving since before you were born. You don't need to show me anything." While this conversation going on my uncle, then about 12 or 13, had climbed into the passenger seat to look over his big sister's "new" car. Also noteworthy is the fact that my grandmother was hanging wash on the clothesline a short distance away and was able to observe the whole thing.

So, with my uncle as passenger and my aunt and grandmother looking on, the old man managed to get it into a forward gear. He then proceeded to drive it into the livingroom. I'm convinced that he pressed down hard on the right pedal thinking that, like in a T, it was the brake never suspecting it was the accelerator.

He lived another 23 years, passing in 1965. He never tried another sliding gear transmission car again for the rest of his life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

Variation on that theme from "Everybody Loves Raymond":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mqjucu4qmc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 05:31 pm:

I flew the Lockheed Super Constellation for many years and it was always said that it took a "real man" to handle 3 tails....er something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

Old Story: Man cones home from work to find the car sitting next to the table in the kitchen. Yells at his wife "Myrtle. how did you do that???" "WELL DEAR, I took a left at the living room of course" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 09:44 am:

I hereby propose a new law:

The throttles on all cars shall be hand-controlled, and foot accelerators removed.

Think about it:
This safety-critical engine control should be readily visible to the driver, and safely away from the brake pedal, to reduce confusion.

Foot feeds only came about less than a hundred years ago, because of those nasty sliding gear transmissions that require a hand to operate. Automatic and planetary transmissions free up the hand for doing the natural thing, controlling engine power, which is much more precise than a foot you maybe can't see.

The hand throttle is near enough to the driver's primary field of view and focus to be safer than a foot feed hidden in the bowels by the feet.

Boots, dropped items, etc., sometimes get in the way of the pedals, with bad results. Removing the foot feed improves safety in that way, too.

The Model T Ford, the Car of the (20th) Century, sets the pace for safety in the 21st century.

How's that for genius?

rdr

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/124275.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

Ralph - What you say makes good sense, but I have a feeling that the "hand throttle" you suggest may be a step that will be "skipped" at this point in our society's advancing technology. I'm pretty sure that there will soon be an "ap" for controlling vehicle power and speed so that it can be easily done "by thumb" while "texting"! Ha,ha,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 08:42 pm:

Harold's right. The next big jump will be driverless cars. All electronic. Just enter destination, sit back and enjoy the ride.

I'm not promoting it. The technology is already here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

If the driverless cars work as well as some GPS systems, I sure as hell wouldn't program a vacation to the Grand Canyon (or a lot of other destinations). I think if they become the only new type vehicles available the result will be that any older "drive it yourself" car will be an instant collectable with increased price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

In regard to hand throttles on modern cars, the foot throttle is there for a reason. It's spring loaded to return the engine to idle. The throttle foot moves to the brake at the same time as leaving the throttle--thus maximum braking power. Ever try to stop a car by keeping the throttle on while using the other foot on the brake? I seem to recall Toyota had a problem similar to this recently. Also try to stop your T from highway speeds without closing the throttle to idle. Not good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 10:19 pm:

The hand throttle doesn't have to be mechanical. It could be tied to a full time cruise control. It disengages automatically with brake pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

in your next new car you may have to just tell it to speed up. i wont have one, so let me know how it goes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 07:40 am:

With our government and a few good lawyers, we ought to be able to put the manufacturers of foot throttled vehicles out of business. You know, for the good of society and to save us from ourselves.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind a hand throttle on modern cars, but I would want it in addition to, not instead of, the foot throttle. And this is totally for convenience, not because of any perceived safety flaw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin Heim on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 07:59 am:

I drove a car once that belonged to a paraplegic friend of mine. Obviously it was equipped with hand throttle and brake controls. It was amazing to me how easy it was to drive while controlling everything by hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 10:59 am:

There are runaway car accidents ever day, because the foot feed is placed too far to the left - where the brake pedal belongs. The ones that make the news have crashed into buildings, often injuring and killing the innocent.

It was the same with the Audi 5000.

I like our Mercury minivan, because the brake pedal is straight ahead of the right hip. The XJ-6 we had before was an invitation to hit the gas instead of the brake. . Take a critical look at all your cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 11:06 am:

A little change, but similar. My Ford pickup has the parking brake on the left foot pedal. The Buick also has that type, and I think Chevrolet has it too. Last Saturday, I was driving in the Model T and when I parked it, my instinct was to push the left pedal down hard. Thankfully, I had already killed the engine.

No matter what type of car we drive, we need to keep our minds on what we are doing and not get stuck in "automatic".
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration