1912 Touring top bow length

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1912 Touring top bow length
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 10:21 pm:

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am in need of some information. I am ready to put the top on my Early 1912 Touring. The body is a step side, looks like the 1911 touring. I need to know the total length of each top bow from the pivot point to the very top of the bow. I am aware that there may be some variation with the different makes of tops. I would appreciate your help and comments. Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

John, there is an article in the Jan-Feb Model T Times with a photo of Ford's factory print of the top measurements and spacing for a 1912 touring car with the removable front doors. It provides all the measurements and spacing you need to make a top. I suspect this top is the same as for your model since it does not show the short straps from the front bow to the window frame. If you can't locate a copy, email me your address and I'll send it to you.
Richard
To answer your specific question, the distance between the pivot point and the very top of the two middle bows is 28 11/16". The length of the first and last bow is not given. Rather the top bow is long enough so the horizontal distance from the center line of the second bow to the front edge of the first bow is 36 5/8" when the top is up. The front bow is angled so that the bottom edge passes 1/2" below the top of the windshield frame. The rear bow is long enough so the horizontal distance between the center line of the third bow and the rearward edge of the rear bow is 28 3/8" when the position of the bow and socket is placed so the line of the rear curtain follows the angle of the body exactly.
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

John-
These are about the dimensions I ended up with mine:

Please send me your e-mail and I will send you some more pictures and information.

Here it is in progress.

Here it is finished.

: ^ )

Keith

Oh, and let's see you car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes on Friday, August 22, 2014 - 10:26 pm:

Thank you Gents! It looks like I need to shorten my bows by about 4 inches. That should make the top fit. I will try to post a photo this week end. Thanks again!
John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration