Installing replacement triple gear pins in the flywheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Installing replacement triple gear pins in the flywheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 10:25 pm:

The replacement pins measure .0035" larger where they press in the flywheel compared to the originals. Anything over .001" press fit, I become very concerned about damaging or cracking the flywheel. What is the normal practice in installing subject pins. Do I need to ream out the pin holes in the flywheel to achieve a .001" press fit?
Thanks,
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

This will either help or further confuse you....... LOL

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/261916.html?1327446597

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 12:00 am:

A .001 thousandths fit is to loose, the pin will not stay.

You have to have at least .002 if not the .003, but not over.

Most repro pins are all different sizes, either end.

You have to polish the pin to get the size it should be.
Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 12:20 am:

As Herman stated- .002 is just about a perfect interference. .0035 is too much. What is the actual diameter of the pin itself?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 09:36 am:

Les -- I believe the part of the pin that goes into the flywheel is tapered. Maybe that is causing you to get an odd measurement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 09:41 am:

Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:47 am:

Thanks for your help and guidance. I am not used to pressing in that much over size. Having a pin come loose can destroy a transmission and cause a bad hair day. I have seen the remains on a fresh rebuild (I Did Not Do That Rebuild) where a triple gear bushing froze on a pin and pulled/broke a pin. Only the magnets & 2 drums were saved in that case. I know the pin installation and bushing fit is critical in a transmission rebuild. Too tight and you can loose it all.
Smile!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 02:27 pm:

The triple gear pins with the 003 over at the flywheels are no longer available ,so I hear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

Installed pins I bought from Lang's this weekend. They measured .003" oversize only on the diameter that is exposed to the flywheel. I used a 12 ton press and a little EP grease and no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Later Ford print, with "EE" steel. Believe this part #3315, the triple gear shaft, was rev. to Fac # 715AR with bit larger end for service replacement, when the original pin is pressed out, the larger end provides the interference fit in that used flywheel hole.

Print as obtained, included these added by someone at Ford, pencil dimensions, to indicate the larger end that is pressed into the flywheel, from the outside of the flywheel. {Service Manual, Chap. III, Para. 289.}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 11:45 pm:

Thanks to all who responded. Where else could one find factual data like this. This level of information makes this forum the greatest!
Thank you again,
Les

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration