Carrier: studs, or bolts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Carrier: studs, or bolts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 12:12 pm:

Does it matter which one I use? I'm not asking about the gear. I have a choice of several.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

Hello Steve:
From the photo, both of these housings look like they survived some sort of crash/crunch event. Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but I would very closely inspect either, especially dial indicating for surface and runout issues?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

Steve,

Either one will work equally well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

6 one way, half a dozen the other. I had bolts when doing mine so I used bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

Some have bolts some have studs, depends on what year it was made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Brown on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

The boards that the carrier halves are sitting on, is the rounded area for holding the differential housing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

According to the encyclopedia, studs were used through 1920; 1921-1927 used bolts. Bolts eliminated one part of the two--the nut. Henry always economizing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 12:41 am:

Dennis Brown: Yes, it is. Made from 2x6 scraps for the perfect price. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 11:56 am:

The studs were used on the earlier models. Just be sure to use safety wire on them, and not cotter pins!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration