Thought something in the engine let go.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Thought something in the engine let go.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

Tonight after work, i decided to go for a nice and relaxing T ride like i do every chance i possibly can. Except tonight i thought this might be the last one till i can fix what i initially thought was a major engine problem. While cruising along at a nice 35/40 with a big grin on my face for like 5 minutes, i suddenly had a huge loss of power. When i looked in the rear-view all i could see was a big cloud of smoke, and a line of cars that were not amused. I finally get the chance to pull off onto a side street to assess the situation, and for the first time in my life was absolutely ecstatic to smell that very distinct aroma of burning brakes. Last time i drove it i decided that i thought the r/m brakes felt a little mushy and they really haven't been adjusted since i installed them, so i gave them 1 turn tighter and forgot about it. Here's the moral to the story, don't be an idiot like me!..if you have accessory brakes on your T, always take it for a small test ride after adjustment and then check them, it will save you from some anxiety, and a few thousandths off really expensive brake linings. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:25 pm:

Thanks for the tip John,....very "timely" as I need to tighten up the Rockies on the depot hack. Thanks to you, I will now be more careful than normal because what you described sounds just like something I'd do! Thanks,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:41 pm:

I tightened up the "rockies" on my 14 for the Utah tour this past summer. About 5 miles out of Kanab she let loose a smoke cloud that would do proud of a WW2 destroyer. I took some pressure off the bands and finished the tour. You can use a hand held temp gun to read band temps. 125 degrees is ok but after a couple of miles you see 190/200, stop and loosen up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

Your very welcome Harold, sometimes the smallest lapses in judgement and common sense are usually the ones that bite you the hardest in the ass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

Thanks Jerry, don't have one of those temp guns, but that seems like a wise investment to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration