Thrust washer: How old?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Thrust washer: How old?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 11:41 am:

The current thrust washers have straight grooves, not spiral. Anybody know when these were used?}}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 11:49 am:

The new replacements I have seen have a spiral in them. They need to be that way to help feed the lube between the steel thrust washers. Guess I need to go check the new one on the shelf now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 11:54 am:

Here's a current one, I assume, from Lang's website. It's what I got when I did the rear axle for my touring a couple of years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 11:55 am:

I have found them in 26-27 rear ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

Most are with the two straight grooves. The repo bronze pretty much mimic the old Babbitt in looks of the oil grooves...

'20's auto parts catalog page.

repro bronze and old Ford babbitt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

Yes, here's another original.

So the question remains. When were the spiral ones used? Were the ones Jack found from Ford, or were they later replacements? Is there any record of Ford changing to bronze in 26-27? If they're later, how much later?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

I have found the spiral thrust washers in the earlier models. I recently pulled down a 1913 rear end that had the sprial babbit washers. Quite possibly they could have also been aftermarket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 04:17 pm:

The Part # 2528, (Fac. #T-30} Thrust Washer, is shown in the parts books up to 1924 with a spiral groove.

In the 1926 Parts book the picture shows 2 straight grooves, like the repro made today.

My guess is this is the later design, with 2 straight grooves.

As far as material the early parts books say "Babbitt".

The Feb. 1915 Parts book says "Bronze", later Parts books, thru the 20's and to the end say "Metal".

After market suppliers in the day had both offered, with the bronze at a higher price than Babbitt.

So who knowns? Ford did at some point use bronze, of course we know today to use bronze!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 08:49 pm:

I remember bronze with spiral groove in the 1960s.
Seem to remember that they could be problematic, they could pump the lube out of the differential and push it into the axle tube if they were made/installed wrong.
Something the straight groove ones can do as well if the groove intersects the center hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

I believe I used them in the first rear end I rebuilt. I bought them most likely from Bob's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

That would have been in the 1990's

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration