Wiring differential studs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Wiring differential studs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

I'm not sure I like this. I'm thinking maybe I want to go with two wires twisted together, one going through the hole and the other going around the nut. Opinions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

That will work, if you have a cheap wire twister the two twisted together look neat but who's gonna see it? KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 04:05 pm:

Steve, here is a short slide presentation on safety wire technique:

http://www.slideshare.net/juandigital/how-to-install-safety-wire-presentation

Here is a sketch showing the wiring of a ring of five studs and nuts (I couldn't find a picture of just three).

wire

Several years ago I bit the bullet and bought a pair of safety wire pliers and a spool of 0.032 stainless safety wire, they have served me well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

For those who like videos, here is a USAF video showing an airman trainee doing a pair of bolts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsPR9EB4OGo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

I finally found a picture for wiring three bolts: Note that you do not have to "close" the ring unless you're a stickler for symmetry. :-)

wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 06:50 pm:

Then theres the correct method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

Great video, very comprehensive, thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

ex-troop's video has some good pointers. I'm glad no one was "scoring" some I've done. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 08:53 pm:

On my '23 rear end those 3 items were not studs but bolts and the nuts were cottered when I took it apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:07 pm:

Yes, the parts book shows the studs for 1921 and before, and bolts for 1922-1927.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

Thanks guys, picked up some good pointers. I've probably done some like Mike or maybe worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

My neighbor was a mechanic in the Air-force, when he saw my safety wire job on my transmission he cut it all off and made me do it over. He taught me just like in the last video.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

Aircraft safety wiring is neater and probably better. However, safety wiring styled like Steve has done and similar has held Model T's together for nearly a 100 years now and will work just fine

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration