T320 front perch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: T320 front perch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Just have a question. I purchased a chassis yesterday with an interesting front spring perch. It's marked T320 and is held on by a u-bolt on each end from bottom to top. The frame is also recessed to fit this mount. Can anyone enlighten me as to the years this perch was used? I am not smart enough to figure out how to post a correct size picture on this site, but if anyone is interested just E-mail me at hcash9250@gmail.com and I will reply with pictures. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

Here's Harvey's pics:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

Harvy, that is an early style motor mount. I don't remember what years, someone here will know. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

1920ish and earlier usual spring/engine mount/clamp?
"Spring perch" generally refers to the pieces inside the front axle I-beam that the spring hangs from (by way of spring shackles).
Not complaining. Just trying to clarify terminology to avoid confusion and be able to answer questions.

So. What are your plans for the chassis? I have restored several cars from that or less.
Welcome to the affliction!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

Wayne is correct. That front motor mount is 1920 and before. There's a battery carrier, so your chassis is 1919 or 1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

It looks like it has a high firewall ('24-'25) from here, but that could have been changed at some point. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

Chassis appears to be '23-'25, there is remnant of pressed steel running board bracket near the battery holder. Spare rim carrier appears to be for the 30" rim.

The dash board is high radiator style, appears to be '24-'25.

That front motor mount is earlier, as Steve notes, and this frame should have the one-piece later mount.

Just can't see enough of the left side rear axle housing, but my eyes just "want" to see shifter assembly of a Ruckstell :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

The wheels are interesting- I'm not familiar with them. The hubs look standard, but the wheels obviously are not.

Anyone familiar with this setup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

How many rivets in the handbrake quadrant? Is the Ford logo stamped in the front cross member? Little details like that help in dating a chassis. But after ninety years or more, very few of these things have all their original parts. Most are a mixture of parts from different years unless somebody has made a special effort to make them "correct".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

Bud

Oh Yea...thought so.....cool, that chassis has a Ruckstell...what a good deal.

And those are just modern wheels placed on T hubs to roll around, wouldn't be good to run on such small dia tires with the T, rather lower the gear ratios too much :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:17 am:

It also appears to have a very late front axle--but maybe it's just bent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 03:22 am:

David, I think you are correct. It sure looks like one from here. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:44 am:

Thank you Bud for posting my pictures. The caring and willingness of members to go the extra mile is just great. I actually purchased this frame because I hated to see it just sitting in a field. The young man who sold it to me was going to make it into a rod but lost interest. The front hubs are aluminum, specially made to accept modern wheels. He also supplied me with a very unique honeycomb radiator that looks like a T modified to fit a modern engine. The ruxtell is missing the shift mechanism and the frame is cracked at the right front motor mount hole.
I will be working on getting the unit apart and will be advertising the radiator and front hubs for sale after I have inspected them fully.
I have been away from the hobby for about 35 years and am just jumping back in with a 1925 that I am building a utility wagon body for. I also have a 1927 coupe that is coming along I would love to post pictures but just can't figure out how to reduce them. Thanks to everybody for your input and interest, this forum is a must reading for anyone in this hobby for the wealth of information that members are willing to share. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 10:28 am:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

Harvey

I would bet the 'specially made front hubs' are just flat aluminum spacers to allow the Ford front wooden wheel hub to be adapted to the wider lug spacing of those small dia. wheels and tires. Just for rolling. It's done a lot for that reason.

Sometimes you can drill new holes in the modern wheel and mount the outer hub plate to hold the wheel for rolling use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

Dan, you are correct. I pulled the front axle this morning and what I thought were aluminum hubs are actually spacers bolted to the original ford hub made to accept wheels 6lug on 51/2 centers. They are stamped 6-5/6-135/6-5.5 I don't have any need for them and would sell them at say 20.00 each if anyone is interested. Thanks for the input. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 06:00 am:

btt

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration