OT - non-Ford steering column - what is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - non-Ford steering column - what is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:46 pm:

I recently picked up this steering column with a bunch of T parts, but I do not know what it's for... so I'm hoping some of that vast knowledge of nearly everything vintage on this forum can help me out. :-)

The steering box would be great for a speedster, but I'm thinking it's probably too new to be in the period of what I want to build. The ignition switch on the column I'm guessing puts this quite a few years later than the T era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

it is in the early 1920s, probably early Buick, Nash or similar car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

If it helps narrow it down at all, there is no stop in it... worm-drive that can spin forever.

If it's early-20's, that will be perfect for a speedster with cowl steering done similar to the Franklin box in my Midget. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 06:21 pm:

I did find some markings.

Cast into the gearbox is 552035 and a symbol that looks vaguely like a "W" followed by 12-1. Stamped into the bracket pieces are FB244 and FB245

The gear reduction ratio is 9:1

The trim on the steering wheel spider is nickel plated brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 06:29 pm:

That might be a steering column lock not a switch.
Is there a place for wiring?

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

It does have wiring terminals on the back side of the switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

It is from a '27 (thereabouts) Chevrolet.

The switch is both a column lock and ignition switch.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration