Unusual Canadian serial number.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Unusual Canadian serial number.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

I'm doing some repairs on a Model T Tudor in my area. It is an original appearing, Canadian, 1926 Tudor, Made in Canada block and head with '26 casting dates. Serial number starts with "SM" instead of the usual "C". Anyone know what that means? # is, SM548508

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 06:53 pm:

SM may be a marine designation. Or possible State Municipality restamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

Ed may be onto something. In 1926 Ford Canada did sell T marine engine outfits complete in the parts book!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Interesting. I will be back there in a week or two and will try to find a frame number. The owner has the car registered to an entirely different number than what's on the engine. Please keep the replies coming. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

That's an interesting puzzle. Here in New Zealand I have come across three Canadian engines with engine numbers beginning SC. They are all very close to one another in numbers being SC 702004, SC 702009 and SC 7020025. All tourers. Numbers I have recorded either side are simply C....... I have never come across any reason for this. Was it a special batch? Does anybody have an answer for this wee question?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration