Hand crank bushing from Langs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Hand crank bushing from Langs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Temple on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

I ordered a bushing repair kit for the hand crank with a pin and two springs from Langs. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to remove the old and put in the new one. Also where does the smaller spring go?? Thanks
Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

They drive into the pan to remove and out to install.Pan best be off the car.The spring goes on handle near bend.There should be a small hole for it to hook in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:55 pm:

Matthhew, it is not a good idea to drive the new bush in with a driver/hammer. Best to use a length of all thread and nuts and washers to pull it in. that way you will reduce the liklihood of damage.

hope this helps.

allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Temple on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

Thanks I have a large spring that goes on the handle but also have a small spring too. Don't know where the small spring goes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 01:01 am:

Matthew, I missed your reference to the small spring. On the cranks with the tapered cast iron sleeve there was a small spring which fits inside the handle and keeps the sleeve from rattling. It is not used on later cranks with the rolled on thin steel sleeve.
Hope this helps.

allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 01:01 am:

Without seeing it, I cannot say for certain. I think ONE series of hand-cranks (the '15ish to '20ish) used a spring inside the handle grip to reduce rattling. Most '20ish to '27 hand-cranks only use the one other spring to push the whole handle forward from the front of the pan. That anti-rattle spring is about 3/4 inch OD by almost 4 inches long.I have never had one completely apart. But I had one that the hand-grip was broken and I could see the spring inside it.
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 05:23 am:

I have tried to pull the old crank bushing out of the pan with all thread - no go, got to have a really large dimension for the threads to last. I had to cut the old bushings lengthwise with a hack saw both times I've done the job. Then the new bushings got in place nice and easy with a new piece of all thread :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 07:55 am:

My experience was the same as Roger's. Not a bad job at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Temple on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

Thank you all!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration