Torque for manifold clamp nuts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Torque for manifold clamp nuts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

What torque is recommended for the nuts holding the manifold clamps on the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

None available,they didn't know torque wrench wasn't available.I use a 6 inch offset box end,tighten as tight as you can.Run engine till good and hot, and retighten.Do this several times,it will hold .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

Don't go nuts or you'll pull the studs out of the block.......YIKES

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

My '27 has bolts. Is this original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

Yes.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/38715.html?1194044112

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 08:28 am:

Thanks Mark. I had purchased an intake/exhaust manifold installation tool from Lang's. I checked a friend's '24 and the tool would have worked perfectly with the studs, but my '27 has the bolts (OK, if you want to be really technical - capscrews). I eventually wound up making my own tool that would work with the bolts. It worked well, if I may say so myself. I'll bet the engine was lying on it's side when the folks at Ford's installed the manifolds at the factory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 08:36 am:

I think it's easy to install the manifolds without any special tools - I just install the exhaust manifold loosely first with only the outer clamps oriented up/down. Then I install the intake manifold with the two inner clamps in their intended direction and screw then almost tight. Then I can twist the outer clamps right and tighten them all, no extra hands needed. Should work both for bolts and studs? Will check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 09:51 am:

I have done this many times. 30 ft lbs feels right to me. I have tried 35 but, it felt a little scary. Retorque as mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 10:00 am:

Do what Jack D suggests but be careful. You'll feel bad if you break or strip a stud or bolt. If it leaks a bit tighten a bit more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 10:04 am:

Rodger,

I do it your way all the time.
Works for me.
Easy.
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

Roger's way works for me too. Don't try it with the exhaust pipe connected, then you will have a real fight on your hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

I do it the same way Roger described. No issues.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration