OT - Old Car Festival photographs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Old Car Festival photographs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Saw several forum members at the OCF, along with a tremendous number of great cars. If anyone else has pics please add them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

For those of us that don't know, would someone please list the makes/years of the cars in the pictures please?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 01:11 am:

Bob,
My best guesses:

1. 1904 Ford Model A. This car was shipped from England and completed New London to New Brighton and Dearborn to Lansing tours. The owner is the president of The Early Ford Registry.

2. 1929(?) Ford Model A Towncar

3. 1911 Model T

4. 1909(?) Jackson

5. Overland Roadster

6. Stanley Steamer Mountain Wagon

7. Two 1907 Ford Model K

8. Four cars including a Buick and unknown electric

9. 1910? Model T

10. 1909 Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 01:30 am:

The Spokane Hassie Club had it's annual All-Original Show this weekend. Some very impressive cars, including some T's. I was most impressed with the seldom seen makes like Durant and Franklin. There were TWO Locomobiles ! ... a 1900 steam buggy and a behemoth 1928 sedan. What an amazing machine ! Made our T's look like cheap toys by comparison. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 01:39 am:

Thanks Rob, both for posting the pictures and putting a name to them. Is one of the K's or any of the other ones yours?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 02:01 am:

Bob,
The K on the right is ours. Also had our 1906 N at the show. A few more cars.

Another 1904 Model A:

1904(?) Model A:

High wheel bicycles were common on the streets:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 07:31 am:

Dodge cars were featured. A few of the many Dodges on the judging field:

1909(?) 50 hp Kissel Kar:

Detroit Electric:

Two Buick Model F:

This may be another 1909 Kissel Kar:

Waiting in line for Pass in Review:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 07:51 am:

Waiting for "Pass in Review"s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 08:21 am:

Ah yes, The Old Car Festival, what a grand time it was with perfect weather too. It's the closest we can come to living in the past for a while. A place filled with the sights, sounds and smells of yesteryear minus the horse doodoo. A place free of modern traffic where forum posters become friends and discussions about waterpumps, disc brakes, e timers and Marvel Mystery Oil cease to exist. I already can't wait to go back next year.

Here are a few pics, my '19 Runabout on Main Street. Touring and Runabout on 1919 corner. Two more close ups of the Stanley Steamer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 08:35 am:

Some more Old Car Festival.......Old Car Festival

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 08:48 am:

Just to pass along more info, that nice , red, runabout that Bruce posted above is a Ford Model S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 09:44 am:

This year started with the perils of pauline! The F-250 would not start at the parking lot and the Henry Ford Security got us to our hotel through the storm!![Great People]!!!!!!!!!!!! I stalled our T at the car games and had to be towed to restart by a model A!!! Saw so many of us and other great people!!!! Got a ride in Rob's model K and it has POWER and the two speed trany handles the car well!!That big six has a lot of POWER!!!! They changed the pass in reviue so people can drive without the traffic jam it caused! Great Change!!!!!!!!! The gas lite parade went very well but our gauge read empty when we got back to our trailer.No more carbide!! The weather after the friday night storm was great!! Even if only for a instant i saw so many i know i will not try to name them all.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 09:58 am:

One thing i would say about Rob's K is the power is smooth!!Many of the older big long stroke car's vibrate and shake but the K was smooth as silk!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 10:02 am:

A few comments. The Model A Runabout Robert posted belongs to Russ McTavish's uncle (Russ and daughter in pic). Russ gave me a ride, and it is an incredibly smooth strong 8 hp (1903) Model A. The last Model A is the UK car owned by John Biggs. John and British friend Mike Spencer drove it on the Dearborn to Lansing tour and routinely cruised between 35 and 40 mph. The middle Ford is a Model S Runabout owned and driven by MTFCA forum poster Jerry Van.

A wonderful experience that I recommend to any old car enthusiast,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 10:02 am:

Bud, that was you with the bad starter? I came back in my van just before the storm to see if you re-considered my offer of a ride to your hotel and saw your truck leaving on a flatbed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Tom,Yup it was our's,and i wish i had known it was you!! Tried tapping and the burnt screwdriver and nothing.No calls to the dealer so we found it untouched Sat afternoon out side and it fired right up so now it's in Wheeler!! After being towed by a model A our T started several times on the switch so there must be some model T in the F-250?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 10:30 am:

If it makes you feel any better, one of the Ts in the Village lost its starter solenoid too. It must have been a bad weekend for solenoids.

Sunday evening was so nice that I tossed my kid the keys to my van and trailer and ended up driving my car home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 10:39 am:

Since when does a T have a starter solenoid?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 10:57 am:

Since it's not right to cut a hole in an authentic Model T floorboard to mount an authentic Model T starter pushbutton in a pre-1919 car. A solenoid engage pushbutton can and should be hidden or camouflaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

In the picture that Rob posted above titled "Waiting in line for Pass and Review", the small red Roadster on the far right is a 1910 Hupmobile and the owner is the man standing next to it, Norm Kramer. He also has a Model T, but just acquired this nicely restored Hup and decided to bring it to the OCF.

For us, everything went very well. Our new Prest-O-Lite set up worked perfectly and we used it all through the Gas Light Parade.

One of the nice things about the OCF is the relaxed atmosphere and visiting with friends. We visited with Bud Delong & his Wife, Diane; Trent Bogguss, Dean Yoder, Don and Dave Liepelt, saw Rob but didn't get to visit with him, and many, many others.

All in all, it was just another great OCF. Yes, it did rain hard Friday evening and the tornado sirens blew, but the weather was again nice for Saturday and Sunday.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

Keith,Your right about the Prest-o-Lite no more carbide! RV Anderson said he will use carbide as they did in the day.Well Keith our thoughts about our 100 year old T's were worth squat and i was disapointed to see 4011 dodge brothers car's front and center?? Just like Lizzie i might be getting old and cranky.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

Hi Bud - Old and cranky is better than the alternative - permanently under the grass!

Yes, we are fortunate that we can still get and use Prest-O-Lite tanks and Acetlyene for our lights. Osha might not approve of it, but it does work nice for us.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Kamrowski on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

A great weekend for the OCF this year! I'm yet to have a car to show (maybe someday soon!) but we had a great time. On Saturday my wife and I were invited to ride along in an unrestored 1909 Cartercar H during the Gas Light Parade. The high point of my weekend came on Sunday when I was invited to drive a T for the first time ever in a '13 Roadster out on the gravel roads in the back part of the Village. Still surprised at how quickly I was able to get the basics. Thanks again, Brett! I had some pis to post but couldn't get the filesize small enough :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 04:25 pm:

Tom, try resizing to 150 dots per inch and a width of 6 inches, that seems to work pretty well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Kamrowski on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

OK thanks Mike! And a correction to my post. Sorry for getting your name wrong, Brent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Kamrowski on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

Oops...did it again! I just got onto the forum so bear with me, folks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

A few more pics. These were taken by Early Ford member Rick Lindner (his 1904 Model A is the one with a top shown above). Since he "authorized" the pic with all the folks in our K I'll use his photos....

John Biggs and Mike Spencer with John's Model A (no barbecue in sight):

Our Model K filled to capacity:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 05:24 pm:

Russ McTavish is actually Ross McTavish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, September 08, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

So Rob.

How did you do in the races?

Did a Model T beat the Model K?

Maybe you were beaten by a Dodge???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 10:12 am:

Dave,
We drove by several of the games, but didn't stop long enough to do any. I saw one where cars sprint to a flag, then someone runs back to the start and returns to the car, then on again (progressive?) but we didn't have anyone in the car who would have made the run (myself included). Another time passengers were holding a tray with a glass of water while driving, and that looked like a good "race," but we didn't take the time to wait to try it.

We did give several rides, and like Bud above, I think some riders were surprised at the speed and torque the K had. A great week with may wonderful cars and people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 02:43 pm:

That Stanley looks just like the 1913 Mountain Wagon they have in the National Automobile Museum in Reno.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 04:25 pm:

Terry,I'm sure it's the same one unless there are more?? After the ride in Rob's K i just bought several lotto tickets and soon? Surprised yes,but you should not print what i said when we went up the steep path!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 11:44 pm:

Back about 1970, I think maybe just a year or two before, the highest price world auction record was held by a 1913 Stanley mountain wagon that looked just about like that. If I recall correctly, it was just a few dollars off of $30K. Boy, do I sound like an old-timer now. Just think, Duesenberg, Alpha Romeo, even Ferrari, nothing had sold at auction for more (rumor had it, that Bill Harrah had paid more a few times, but not at auction).
Since then, a few Stanley mountain wagons have been replicated using slightly newer Stanley engines and chassis parts. I know a few steam car aficionados, one of them does have a mountain wagon. I don't know if his is a replication, or the real thing. A fair number of them were built originally. The Stanleys' used a few of them themselves at their Estes Park Hotel, from things I have read.
Wonderful photos! An incredible meet! Thank you all for sharing these.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 12:13 am:

Wow those are some Sweet Cars and Great Pictures. I wish I was there. Drool. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley on Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

Here is a picture of a Model S and one of my 13.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

Boy, I'm drooling. A trip to the OCF is on my bucket list, but I just don't know how long it will be before I can manage it. Yanking my kids out of school, right at the start of the school year just isn't gonna fly with my wife, who is otherwise extremely supportive of my old car nonsense (she parks outside because the '17 Touring project that I haven't sold yet, is taking up too much space in the garage).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

Great stuff...what are the dates for the 2015 OCF?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas A. Voltz on Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

David, the OCF is always the first weekend after Labor Day. Next years should be September 5th and 6th. That will be the 65th OCF. Best event ever.
Tom

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration