Painting springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Painting springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart on Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

I am taking my car apart in preparation for the restored 1919 body. I have the frame off and will be cleaning and painting with POR - 15.
I also have the springs apart and wondering what I should use for paint. Lang's sells a slip paint for springs they also sell a spray can of powdered graphite, which says use regular paint and spray on the graphite lubricant. What are most of you guys using. I sort of thought about using the POR and the lube,but can't decide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

Ford mixed graphite with paint to paint between the leafs and so did I. The paint got a little greyish, so I sprayed with pure black after assembly (with grease between the leafs). There are other ways, like putting teflon strips between leafs, but then you'll have to make longer spring clamps and that's easy enough. Ford used the friction in the springs (and the passengers) as shock absorbers, so really springy springs and high speeds may call for accessory shock absorbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 03:13 pm:

William ; I use this for oiling the springs
1090R
1091R
1092R
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

When I had my springs off I took them apart and painted them. After they were dry and before reassembly I mixed grease and graphite together and spread it between the spring leaves. That was 5 or 6 years ago and they are still slippery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

William - I used a graphite paint I got at my local Tractor Supply store. Painted the springs with a few coats of the graphite paint, assembled the stack, then painted with two coats of Rustoleum gloss black as a top coat. Seems to work well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

I did what Dave B. did, worked great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

I do all my springs, A and T like Roger and Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

I am in the process of doing a new set of springs as well. The first time I cleaned the springs with a wire wheel and then painted the appropriate parts with the EZ-Slide - it is pretty thick. After I put the spring together, I painted the parts that show with gloss black.

The new springs I will paint first with primer and rustoleum. Then I will apply the EZ-slide, put the springs together and add another couple of coats of black.

The EZ-slide spray in a can is much easier to apply and provides for a much more even coating, but is it thick enough? I have a quart of the above so I will paint that on with a brush. I am trying to stay away from the grease and oil mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees on Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 06:33 am:

I did what Dave B. did also. Just did my set. I cleaned, blasted and painted mine first, added the EZ glide (2 coats), then assembled. Then repainted the outside of the pack black again so it touched up where you could see the grey graphite paint. Tedious process, but should be worth it.

Alot of guys are getting the leafs powdercoated first before they put the EZ Slide on too.

Buy the smallest can of the EZ Slide, I bought a quart and could probably do about 50 springs before I ran out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart on Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 10:29 am:

Thanks for all the great suggestions, now i have several options. I think I will get the EZ-Slide paint at Tractor Supply,use it on the individual leaves, then paint the assembly with gloss black as suggested by 2 or 3 of you.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration