Mag as a battery charger?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Mag as a battery charger?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Friday, October 24, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

I recently installed a distributor in my 26 coupe and am real pleased with it's performance. The instructions stated to disconnect the mag because the modern day 6 volt coil will not take the mag output and will burn up. Would it be possible to run the mag through a separate circuit and run the lights and possibly charge the battery directly and just let the generator run the engine? And no I'm not smoking anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, October 24, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

See 6 vs 12 volt thread and the post by Regan.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, October 24, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

The Mag puts out AC, you can run the lights on AC but without a resistor they will burn bright and dim with engine RPM. The voltage changes on the model T mag as RPM changes. Charging the battery with AC can also be done, but you have to run it though a diode and a regulator to get a trickle charge, wiring it directly will short out the magneto. As far as the generator running the engine, it should never run the engine. If you have a generator it should be used to charge the battery.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration