New non T 12 volt generator - if not yet polorized will it hurt if not wired but running on the T ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New non T 12 volt generator - if not yet polorized will it hurt if not wired but running on the T ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

I have had the guys from work make me a new nose cone for my free Lucas 22715 12 volt 25 amp generator, looks very similar to the original T generator, now my question is if it is not yet wired up to an external regulator, and not yet zapped to polorize and free wheels, am l creating amps and will it hurt the generator?.
I have removed it just in case it does, but l would like to know one way or the other as a matter of intrest.
thanks
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 11:30 am:

Depends how much, if any, residual magnetism is in the unit. Best not to take a chance on it, either remove, as you did, or ground the field and armature terminals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 04:33 pm:

Dave, don't ground a Lucas genny if it is only the 2 brush and regulator controlled type, they can be run just disconnected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

David : As you know a model T need only about 2 amph for the starting and perhaps a brake light.
What are you doing with the 23 amph what is left ??
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 05:24 pm:

Thank you, I have removed it just in case, what am l doing with it ( 23 amps ), absolutely nothing, it was free and it looks a whole lot like the original, so now l don't have a flat battery so often l guess, lets see - we can run a huge set of off road spotties and a air condit-- nah !, nothing else.
I have just purchased a 22 am regulator, so it wont be using all it can safely produce, having said that l did hear they can pump out over 95 volts before they go pop....or was that amps ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 11:09 pm:

It's a 2 brush unit with an external voltage regulator. It won't self destruct like a 3 brush unit will if it sees an open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

OK thank you, l will take your advise and run it un connected for now, until my regulator arrives.

Now to find a regulator hiding spot ???

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 12:14 am:

Nice! But that Phillips head sticks out like a sore thumb. :-)

Mount the regulator on a bracket under the generator off one or two of the CC pan bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 11:02 am:

I was long to remount the original cut out on top, and yes good idea using the cc bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Stupid phone . Not long .. going to remount.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration