The Car Runs Much Better When the Gas is Turned On

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: The Car Runs Much Better When the Gas is Turned On
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

Today I drove my 1924 cut off Touring Car (now a Pickup) for a long (for me) drive to Mastodon State Park and back. Leaving the park after my visit, the car started to sputter and I got that sinking feeling as it coasted to the bottom of the hill and the engine died. A quick look under the hood revealed that I had forgotten to open the gas valve, once I opened it the car fired right up and I drove home without further incident (whew!). :-)

I was hoping to meet the St. Louis Model T Club at the park, but I got crossed up on the timing and left before they arrived. Maybe next time!

pic01

pic02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

I have found that driving with too much air in the tank will result in the same problem. I carry a spare gallon in the side tool box now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

When you do something like that you have to look around and see if anybody saw you turn it on again!
Or maybe I have to look around when I do it.
(I'm not admitting anything though).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Been there - done that! In fact, far too often!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

Glad you mentioned your experence. If it happens to me someday, I will know what to do. Thanks Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 11:45 pm:

Mark,
Sorry we missed you. David mentioned that you might go with him to the next meeting. Hope to see you there.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 11:46 pm:

Last time I did that, I backed down the driveway after warming up a bit and got a whole 1/2 block, died right at the stop sign! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

I did it during a tour this summer. I knew what it was before getting out of the car but, I still had to get out and open it. Thank Goodness only about 2/3 of the tour stopped and watched me turn it back on. Otherwise it would have been a little embarrassing. And now that I've admitted that I feel I should tell you of a few other boneheaded things I did during a couple tours this summer but...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:22 am:

I have not forgotten to turn on my gas for well over a year, but I have not remembered to turn it off in that time either, so I guess it is a wash:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dana A. Crosby in Glendale, Az on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:49 am:

It's embarrassing when my 5 year old grandson asks, "Did you turn the gas on Papa?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 01:23 am:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 02:02 am:

I find that the ability to forget to turn on the gas is a directly related to the number of people that are watching you start up and drive off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 10:19 am:

I was there to but most of the times I don't forget to open the valve but I forget to fill it up. Same feeling.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 10:37 am:

Getting old is half the problem. Recently, we had a brunch at a local restaurant. The cars always draw people to watch, especially when you hand crank the engine. Then when the engine starts only to stall after the carb runs dry is embarrassing. Then when someone asks what I did under the hood to get it to re start, I tell them that gasoline is dangerous stuff, don't you turn it off your gas valve, when you stop your car? I think I'm going to stick a sign on the rear view mirror to remind me about the gas. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 10:38 am:

I have a novel biological alarm that sounds whenever I get in the car for a ride - my daughter always asks, "did you turn the gas on?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Is that alarm expensive??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 11:08 am:

I got a "Free Start" once and was so excited that I finally got one I forgot to turn the gas on...Dang!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 11:53 am:

I did that just once. Problem is, it took me half a day before I realized what the trouble was. Now I never turn it off. Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

I have been turning the valve on at the start of the day and only turning it off at the end of the day. It doesn't ever seem to leak so I hadn't thought to turn it off at every stop. Do some have trouble and need to do this or is it just an abundance of caution?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

I suspect you will find that the vast majority of us have done either that or something else equally as embarrassing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

I was very fortunate to have a club member, Norm Kling, help me rebuild my '17 engine after I damaged it to the point where it wouldn't run (make that read I cleaned off the grease and oil and he did all the difficult, technical, knowledgeable stuff).
He told me when it was done that it would probably be too tight to crank, and that we'd probably have to tow it to get it started. In front of several knowledgeable people, I tried to hand crank it anyway and it didn't seem too difficult. It sputtered several times, but just wouldn't start, so we hooked it up and towed it down his driveway. It sputtered again several times, but still wouldn't start. I was starting to worry about the rebuild, when he asked me if I had remembered to turn the gas on. NOPE! Started right up after that and has been a pleasure to drive since.
You just can't fix stupid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

I have not turned mine off in over a year with out a drop leaking, even while trailering it over 200 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

Yes. Done that. And not just once.
But the embarrassment is lessened by the 'remote' control made of brass rod which allows me to turn my '26 Coupe's fuel on and off from inside the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Brewer - NorCal on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

I used to have a sticker on my motorcycle's gas tank that read :"Turn The Gas On Dummy".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

This spring when I first started driving the Sedan again it leaked gas from the carburetor. Not much, just enough to stink up the garage. So I started shutting off the gas. You know an ounce of prevention and all that. However I've forgot to close the valve a few times and didn't see any leaking or smell gas again for the rest of the summer. I don't know why it leaked at the beginning of the season but I'm going to continue to be cautious with all three cars. And if I embarrass myself, so be it. It's a minor price to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 08:19 am:

LOL I've done that. More than once. You guys with starters have it easy. When I do it I'm usually huffing and puffing a little bit to add to my consternation.

It's MUCH worse when you have an audience. Have to make up something for the crowd like "Oh, ah ha. Sprocket Inverter was disengaged. She'll start now."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration