Question on oil to front engine bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Question on oil to front engine bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 07:52 pm:

The more I read the manuals and forum the more I see I do not know. I had the radiator off but did not blow out the line to oil the front bearing. Question. I have purchased an outside oil line kit. Will this suffice ? Also I need to change the transmission bands. And add an oil filter screen. And magnet. Can the line to the front bearing be cleaned out thru the transmission band inspection plate ? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

You won't be able to get to the back side of the oil line. It is between the flywheel and block. I kinda doubt you could even get to it if you pulled the hog's head.

You can, however, check to see it if is oiling. With the engine running (chock the car and do all the other things the safety nuts are going to tell you to do), remove one of the front bolts on the inspection cover (Dipper pan). You should get a good steady stream of oil from the bolt hole. If not, the oil line is plugged.

Some aftermarket outside oil lines work better than others. Don't tell anyone. My reputation is bad enough already, but I don't have an outside oil line on either of mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

Hal
Your not all bad in my book. I have one of the "mag-plug" lines on one car and none on the other!!
David
I like the trans cover screens!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 10:25 pm:

I have an outside oiler from the mag on my T and figure that something is better then nothing.

I also have a screen with mag that I clean every time I play with the bands

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

If you want to clean the internal oil line, it is possible without removing the cam gear.

If you remove the cam gear cover, it's possible to run a wire up the internal oil line. You must position the cam gear just right and the front end of the internal oil line can be seen.

I used a heavy duty piece of weedwacker trimmer line. Flexible enough to slide by the cam gear but stiff enough to push up the internal oil line.

Of course the radiator and cam gear cover have to come off, but if your removing the radiator for another reason doing the rest of the job only takes an hour or so.

BTW I also have the accessory magpost oiler ... insurance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, October 31, 2014 - 11:09 am:

Just to add, I have a modified mag post oiler. I can easily disconnect the front end of it so I did a test. Upon start-up, I was very disappointed to see not one drop came through. After a short warm up period, such a flow ran out of it. Made me feel much better. That was with 10w-40 oil.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration