Axle backing plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Axle backing plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, October 31, 2014 - 09:42 am:

I am in the middle of tearing apart the rear axle on my 1914 T. The right side backing plate has about a 1/4" missing from the very bottom. It looks as if maybe the rear wheel broke off at some point in it's history and the car came to a grinding halt on the backing plate, removing the 1/4" of metal. When I bought the car, it came with an extra right housing half which seems to be very solid - apparently the former owner had planned on replacing the damaged housing. I'm probably right in assuming that it wouldn't be good to run the car on such a damaged housing - I'm thinking it would allow dirt/water/debris inside the wheel area. The original housing, although damaged and full of brazing around the rivets, is still pretty solid and I hate throwing anything out - is it worth salvaging to someone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 31, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Yes. If only 1/4" is missing, it could be fixed. I think a 1914 housing would be scarce enough to merit the effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, October 31, 2014 - 10:34 am:

I've seen a number of axle housings ground off that way. I figured it was a perceived fix allowing grease to escape from the brake drum area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 31, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Considering the amount of gap between the brake drum and backing plate on many T's I don't think I would worry about a little extra drainage at the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, October 31, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

Hmmmmmm, maybe I'll grind off the brazing/rivet heads on this one and reuse it and sell the other one. I already ground the brazing/rivet heads off the left half and am going to send it to the sandman for blasting. This was I'll still be using the original housings. I was just concerned about the damaged backing plate letting it too much dirt/water but if it's no big deal, I think I'll work on it a bit and use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, October 31, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

A little build-up with a wire welder and a bit of grinding and you'd never know it had been worn down. 1/4 inch buildup would only take a few minutes. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, October 31, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

Being that brake backing plates in general are neither water nor dust tight, I guess they mostly serve to keep rocks and small pets out of the brake workings.

I agree with David that building up the road rash area with weldment is the most logical repair method, and plan to repair a '15 housing I have in that manner sometime soon - mostly just for aesthetic reasons.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration