The t had been running quite good. I parked it in the garage as I needed to fix an oil leak coming from the bendix cover. While I had the floor out, I also pulled the magneto post to check for lint. It had a rubbery substance intertwined. I pulled that out and re-installed the post. Now the car will not start at all. Strong odor of gas, seemingly indicating that I have no spark. Could a bad magneto post cause the vehicle to not start or is it just coincidence and I have a different issue? Thanks.
Found a blown fuse. more likely culprit. now I just need to figure out what caused that, as the new one i put in immediately blew as well.
Fuse??? What is a Fuse?? I don't see such an animal on my wiring diagram!
On my 27, it has a 6 fuse panel. When I looked up the diagram, it shows the magneto goes to this fuse. good a bad magneto cause the fuse to blow? when i reconnected the battery after putting in a new fuse, the battery started to smoke a little. definitely shorting out somewhere related to the magneto post.
I sure hope they are no connection between the mag and the battery. If this is the case, you will discharge the magnets. but yes this connection would blow the fuse Never let the battery contact the mag!!!!!
If you are putting battery voltage to the mag post, you can kiss the magneto good-by.
keep the battery and the mag and mag post separate.
the battery is not contacting the mag. it is the same set up i have been running. no issue until i pulled the magneto post and put it back in. Can a bad magneto post cause the fuse to pop?
Disconnect the mag post wiring. You should be able to drive the car without it. If that does not work, fix that problem first. After that problem is corrected you can concentrate again on the mag post, but get it working first with just the battery.. Good Luck.