Model T Starter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Starter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

I found an article from "Motor Age", December 12, 1918. It announces that 1919 Ford cars will have starters. Apparently Ford had considered adding a starter as early as 1917, but something stopped it, I wonder if it was cost? Liberty Starter Co. had a government contract for starters that Ford assumed. They were making 500 a day, Ford need 3000 a day so production was increased. The article doesn't mention the rest of the electrical system, specifically the generator. Did the Liberty Co. also make the generator?

I'm interested in the circumstances around Ford's conversion to the electric system.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Mike
Yes, Liberty Electric made generators too.
It was referred to as the "FA Liberty Starting and Lighting System". F.A. was the initials of Fred Allison the designer. Liberty Electric made the early units. These had a oval metal tag on the generator and starter with "Liberty Electric on it.
Here is a photo of Fred Allison and more of his handiwork.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 06:21 pm:

"without any extra charge"? I don't think so. Period Ford literature stated the entire complement of equipment (battery, starter and generator etc) cost $75 extra (if I recall correctly).
Ron the Coilman

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration