Electric Brake Controller Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Electric Brake Controller Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor on Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 11:30 pm:

Researching which electronic brake controller to buy. A search of the forum finds accelerometer/proportional/inertia type brake controllers are recommended for Model T trailers with electric brakes. Is there a particular model or brand that works well for towing a Model T? The Tekonsha electronic brake controller with solid state accelerometer is modern and seems to be a popular model; anyone have experience using it? Any pros/cons I should know about?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Eatonville,Wa on Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 11:38 pm:

I dont know about that one but the Prodigy controller is also a very popular I have known several people that had them and no complaints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, November 07, 2014 - 02:19 am:

I have had 2 Tekonsha controllers and they both worked very well. The Company itself is in Michigan and is a USA company. They have been just super with me. The first Tekonsha unit I had came with a trailer I bought but it was missing a gimlet bracket to mount it and also any operating info. I called the 800 without knowing where they were and got an answering machine since it was after hours. I left a message saying I needed a mounting bracket and instruction sheet and asked how much money to send. I left them my address and asked if they had a catalog to send that along too. The very next day they shipped me the bracket and info sheet UPS to me and a tech had a note in the package with his direct number to help me get it all working if I didn't understand the instructions or needed any further info. All of this was comped to me at no charge and they knew I was not the original purchaser but it didn't matter. A few years later I got a new tow vehicle and wanted to upgrade my existing unit to a newer one if that made sense only because the newer units were smaller. I talked to the company and they suggested I send them my old unit since they were wanting to retire the older models and offered me silly money credit to send it in. They would trade me units if I paid the shipping. Too good of an offer to refuse. The new one has worked flawlessly for many a year now. Like its larger predecessor it is a simple idea with a pendulum that controls the amount of braking and works great. That is my experience. I would buy another one from them in a minute. I have had the opportunity to open up the unit and found the electronic components used to be top notch parts made by companies that I am familiar with. I had the cover off while mounting the thing in my new truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, November 07, 2014 - 06:46 am:

Tekonsha has been around for many years and have always been good as far as I know. I used to install a lot of them on TVA vehicles. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, November 07, 2014 - 08:18 am:

I have Tekonsha's on my two tow vehicles. No problems what so ever. I'm looking at installing a third one on another on my new tow vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Friday, November 07, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

I also have a Tekonsha - works great. Nothing but good things to say about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor on Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 12:03 am:

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge and experience with the Tekonsha electronic brake controller. Thanks John for sharing your detailed experience with the company, very positive experience indeed.

Will go with the Tekonsha based on all the positive comments about them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration