Accessory ring and pinion gears ever produced?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Accessory ring and pinion gears ever produced?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 05:53 pm:

Not including the Ford 10 tooth pinion and Ruxstell items; did other accessory makers such as HIMICO ever produce other options? I'm talking Ford cars not trucks.

Who makes the currently available ring/pinion sets sold by the suppliers? Is it Chaffins?

Technically, would it be possible produce something like a 36 tooth ring and a 8 tooth pinion that would fit and work in Ford rearend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Constantine

Yes, there were several aftermarket companies, including the racing suppliers like Roof, Laurel, that had special gear set, in the Model T days. They made various ratio ring and pinion gear sets for the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

The independent gear cutting companies usually offered gears for Model Ts, sometimes in other ratios.
This is a differential made by Republic.
a
Yes there were many different ratios available for the T. 9,10,11,12 and 13 tooth pinions with matching ring gears.
This is a 12 to 48 tooth set made by Ford for sedans before the 10 tooth ( which went with the stock 40 tooth ring) was introduced.
b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

I somewhere have an ad for 5 and 6 to one gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

Spiral cut were made too!
a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

Are you sure that spiral cut set isn't from a 490 Chevy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

The ring gear is the same, Model T Ford and 490 Chevrolet.
The pinion is different, location of the taper relative to the teeth and the gear does not have a large shoulder on back side for a bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 12:43 am:

I believe all the current reproduction ring and pinion gears are actually made by Mark Auto. You can buy them from any of the T part sellers including Chaffins and Langs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt on Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 09:38 am:

I have a Hi-Speed set both gears stamped Ruckstell!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 10:38 am:

I just pulled a set of 3-1 gears out of my rear end, made by Republic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Thanks guys for the info and pics.

Technically, would it be possible produce something like 4.5 to 1 (perhaps 36 tooth ring and a 8 tooth pinion) that would fit and work in Ford rearend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

40 tooth ring gear, 9 tooth pinion gives a 4.44 to 1 gear ratio. I have a couple of sets but not for sale. Hard to find, some were made in the last few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

Mike,

That's interesting; do you have a pic you could post here? Any idea who produced them and why, and how many sets were made?

Good to know I wasn't in fantasy land again thinking 4.5:1 might work well in certain set-ups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

4.5-1 might work well in drag racing, or in hill climbing, but the car would not be very fast while cruising. The engine would race while the car was going about 25 or 30.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Norman,

You're correct if in direct, but not so in overdrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

4:1 rear gears combined with a KC Warford transmission are a great combination. You get great hill-climbing abilities with a higher-than-stock top gear. The Warford overdrive with the 4:1 gives you an overall ratio of about 3:33, which is quite useful. It would take some extreme circumstances to need a 4.5:1 rear gear.

But given Constantine's recent experiences, I believe he would have encountered some "extreme circumstances." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

Constantine
You can try Rempco Inc. in Cadillac Mi.
They made some and may not have any left, sounded like they didn't plan to make more.

Hill climb car is the application.
Ran 9.718 @ 57.07 mph in 550', in Nick Nicholas car a couple of weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 12:10 am:

Thanks for your replies Mike B. and Mike K.,

So the 9 tooth pinion works with the 40 tooth Ford ring gear?

Unlike the Etimer and Engine Oil debates I find the "best gearing" question rather interesting.

I very much like the idea of 4.44:1 because it gives you something very close to standard Ford gearing used with a KC in overdrive. In effect it transforms the KC unit into a dual underdrive.

A KC in overdrive gives 3:1 (with a 3.63 standard rear) or 3.33:1 (with a 4:1 10 tooth rear). KC in overdrive may work well with a light 40 hp OHV powered speedster, but I'm not convinced that with a heavier touring body or pick-up or closed car carrying passengers or loaded up it will get much use in the real world.

If one decides to take the KC route, I think for heavy cars with only stock or mild engines (ie. Z head, Stipe) it's far more useful to have stock gearing with two underdrives IF you plan to do some serious touring.

4.44:1 plus KC would be great for such a trip. You have near to stock Ford gearing in KC overdrive to drive on the highway. 4.44 in direct (for use as a underdrive) for the hills or city driving. And an EXTREME 2nd underdrive for off-road, or very steep gravel roads, or downhill in slow traffic. All these without using your left foot.

Having said all that, I did my big trip with standard gearing without a Ruxstell or KC.

That's what is great about Model Ts, we have so many options!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 12:33 am:

Constantine

Our 27 roadster with 4 to 1 gears, KC trans runs in overdrive most of the time. We tour in a lot of hill country fully loaded with clothes for a week,tools and some repair parts and we are not small people.

40 hp not needed, just a guess, the engine may make 25 to 28 hp. Low head milled, pop up pistion and a Stipe 280 cam.

Under drive in this set up hasn't let me down yet and we have pulled some hard pulls. Just FYI

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration