Four dip pan and Scat crank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Four dip pan and Scat crank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

I know that the weights on a Scat crank hit the pan, on a three dip i just ground the horseshoe and bolt down to clear, on the four dip can i just cut the center section out of the horseshoe or should i just grind it down also?
Stock crank.

thanks Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

I suppose it depends on which SCAT crank you order. If you order the long stroke, it could hit something. I just installed a standard grind SCAT in a 26 with the 4 dip crankcase and have no problem with the crankshaft hitting anything. I have not used one in a 3 dip pan.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 05:18 pm:

Norman, it is my understanding that all the Scat cranks for 4 cylinder Fords are machined from the same forging. The stroker/larger journal cranks most likely have the same dimensions to the throws. The problem seems to arise from differences in the T pans. Some foul, some don't. It is a fix it if you have to scenario, as you have found.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

I fixed it as it was hitting the rear horseshoe dead center, i put Prussian blue on the crank counterweight and turned the crank, it lifted the pan up, so i checked the blue marks and just cut the center piece about 11/2" out and no more hits and won't effect anything.

Rick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration