Dayton discwood wheels?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Dayton discwood wheels?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

Has anyone ever seen or restored this style of wheel before

http://modelthaven.com/00h.html

Travis Towle
Topeka Kansas

785-408-3409

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 11:19 pm:

Google "dayton discwood wheels" - shows up in a number of period trade publications:

Click on the link below:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=dayton+discwood+wheel&ie=UTF -8&oe=UTF-8#rls=en&q=%22dayton+discwood+wheels%22

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

That's the first complete Himico conversion unit I have ever seen. Might make an interesting restoration project for someone.

Wooden disc wheels seem to me to be fraught with disaster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

Yabba Dabba Doo! Those wheels remind me of the paper pilot wheels used on some old steam locomotives.

I guess with enough pressure and the correct orientation of the veneer, a strong wheel would result. I wonder though, if most period adhesives wouldn't have presented a durability problem .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil on Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 02:44 pm:

The WW1 Renault FT17 tank used wood wheels just like this. This tank was made under license here is the USA and I remember seeing one in the 1960s up in Oxnard or someplace near there that was being used as a roadside attraction. The paint on the wood wheels was long gone but the wood itself was still intact.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 09:32 am:

Depending on how they attach to the rim, I see them as no different than a "normal" wood spoke wheel. There are 12 wedges instead of 12 spokes. The wedges should act as "giant/oversize spokes. The main thing would be to get the "grain" right in each wedge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 12:47 pm:

I'd be interested in an opinion from Stutzman's Wheel Shop,.....I'll bet he knows,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

The look like they were made on a farm for a farm. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration