Starter Upgrade?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Starter Upgrade?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Bulick on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Has anybody ran the upgraded starter that Mac's sells?

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_t/model-t-ford-starter-motor-6-volt-mode rn-remanufactured-delco-remy-starter.html

My starter is shot on mine, and came across this while looking up rebuild parts. Any input?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 10:22 am:

This is not necessarily an upgrade. It's just another option. Having an original unit rebuilt should be as good or better than the "new" unit, which is not new, but a rebuilt starter with some new parts added for use with a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 11:14 am:

That appears to be a L.D. Becker manufactured starter. One of his sons, took over the business upon his death and is still making the starter in both 6v and 12v configuration. I would check with them directly to see if their direct sale price is cheaper than through Mac's. It might save you a few dollars plus freight costs, depending on where you live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 11:17 am:

I bought two of Mr. Beckers 12v starters at Hershey just before he passed away. I have not had a bit of trouble with either of them. My understanding is that Mr Beckers (sons?) are making them now and Mac's is selling them for an unreal amount of money for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 11:20 am:

Just a word of caution.
I work on Model T starters every day and I have seen four of these starters with this problem.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 11:26 am:

I'd send the carcass to Ron Patterson. I'd end up with a real Model T starter that works and will likely outlast me, and would probably cost less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Bulick on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

So far, I have found part of the shoulder broken off of the gear on the bendix and the battery cable post is broken. Would prefer to totally go through it or replace it so no troubles down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

I think Daryl Becker, like his dad, includes a lifetime warranty. You can get a 12 volt starter from him for $165 plus shipping. I would not be hesitant to buy from him.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration