Obtaining a Title

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Obtaining a Title
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 06:24 pm:

Where? Best way?
I've got a title for my '25 coupe, and it's chassis that I'm looking to sell. (Though the title itself was a 'replacement title' from New Hampshire, it is shown/ID'd as a '23, yet with the correct '25 engine #. Heck, even my Dad's '26 TT had a '25 replacement engine! And I had no Wisconsin title problems there!!) The coupe was NH State Patrol inspected and verified, in NH, to obtain that replacement title, wrong year and all. Pictures and telephone conversations can not substitute for being 'in person'... Yup, at my own peril, I completed the purchase and transported to Wisconsin, believing it to be a '23. My plan had been to place the coupe body -along with title- onto the restored chassis I've been working on, and re-sell the NH unit. I am now OK having the coupe body. Whether I sell that '25 NH chassis (buyers have asked if it has a title), Titled as a '23 yet having the correct # or not, an additional title will still need to be procured. Searched the internet and found them "For as little as $895!" Maybe I should just buy an already titled 'bucket of rust' for the new chassis??? A plain title transfer would certainly be less painful, and likely cost less...
Again, asking for suggestions - "Where? - Best way?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 06:33 pm:

It's best and easiest to contact and deal with the respective state DMV instead of getting bad advice from folks on the forum.

If you have a current title that has the incorrect year, then fill out a form to correct the title. Your situation is neither new nor unique.

If you a assembling a car, then apply for a title at the DMV. Again, applying for a title is neither a new nor unique situation and folks do it all the time.

Your DMV should have the proper forms to accomplish both tasks above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

Marvin, Having been through this nightmare several months ago, I wish I had great advice for you to weave you way through the morass of the WI DMV...but I don't. Don't expect to get a title that allows you to transfer it eligible for Collector plates in WI. That just won't happen. What you may be able to do is get it titled as a Hobbyist car and eligible for those plates. It is sort of like salvage title, and that allows the car to be eligible for Hobbyist plates. Don't expect anyone at DMV to have a clue what a Model T Ford is, much less know what separates one model from another. Once your project is done and you apply for a Hobbyist title, law enforcement may have to inspect your car. Let the next buyer of the car go through the hassle of trying to change the plates from Hobbyist to Collector. Don't get all uptight trying to match the year on the title to the year (or engine number) on the car. DMV doesn't care, why should you? PM me if you want any more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

Marvin.
You have me all kinds of confused about replacement titles in NH and what you are talking about.
I live in NH and when I brought me T and A into the state all I had to do was have a bill of sale and have the local police verify the vin to register the vehicle .
The vin can be almost anything but I use the motor number.
Since the vehicle was made before 1999 it does not require a title in NH.
In fact, a few years ago a friend had me register an older vehicle in NH with a bill of sale and then sell it to him in another state he couild get a title.
I don't know what Wisconsin requires but if you have a NH bill of sale it should be easy.
My T was easy since the motor was original and the number easily aligned with 1919.
The A was a bit more complicated because it is a 31 with a 30 motor but I don"t care what the DMV says, 30 or 31, I don't care what the bureaucrats say or think as long as I can drive the vehicle.
Bottom line - your NH title is worthless because it doesn't apply to vehicles before 1999.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 01:00 am:

Thanks, Guys.
So the NH title is worthless...? I was just provided a title because I asked for one? If that is the case, then the BOS I also got should be sufficient to get a title...? Kevin, I'm sure you're aware of the $69.50 WI title transfer fee plus $5.00 for the non-expiration WI 'Antique' registration? If I went just about 'any other route' to register & license, wouldn't a VIN & title from almost any salvaged vehicle work for my project car??? I'm not too concerned, 'cuz it will most likely stay with my family (grandkids?) after I'm gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 05:30 am:

Several years ago, one could buy a title from an outfit in Alabama and use that to secure a title in North Carolina. It is my understanding that North Carolina got wise to this, (because some were applying for a title on a kit car) and will not accept a title from Alabama unless during inspection the numbers all match and the car is not a made up car. Other states may do the same. This outfit in Alabama was even advertising in Hemmings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 07:48 am:

Marv,

I sent you a return regarding titling in WI. Generally, WI DMV is a picky pain in the rear to deal with. Bills of Sale mean nothing to DMV. If it doesn't have a title (or can't get one), they don't want to mess with it. There are ways around this that I pointed out in the PM I sent you though. Good luck with the process. It may test your patience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Bulick on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 08:48 am:

The outfit in Alabama is Broadway Title. They are still around, but the prices have went way up and the procedure is pretty involved now. There is actually a list of states on there website that they can not deal with. This is a tough topic because not only is every state different on procedures, but even going to different locations within the state will net you different results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 09:00 am:

It is going to take some time, a lot of communication with your DMV and talking with those in your state that have done it.

I am in Michigan and I just applied for a title for the T 'vin' I have and it took a good 3 weeks, multiple trips, multiple calls and dealings with the local police, my insurance company and the Secretary of State, Michigan's DMV.

A lot of times it is the teller at the DMV you get, sometimes they have no clue and want to get rid of you and tell you a bunch of BS. So call the HQ and get a list of what you need, get it done then head in. If the teller gives you the run around hit up another DMV or come back and get another teller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 11:25 am:

Have called and talked with WI/DMV-HQ. They put me in contact with their "Advanced Staff", which even has their own direct phone line and separate address. I explained, and actually felt they understood what I was talking about! They told me: "Do not go to a DMV counter. They're not going to be able to help you! Call us, get a name, and use the mail!" They will provide a letter for obtaining an inspection appointment with the State Patrol.
Perhaps 'someone' within the bureaucracy actually knows what they're doing???
Maybe I shouldn't be so reluctant to include a title with the chassis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 11:39 am:

In my book anymore, no title = no sale unless I am buying just a pile of parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

Yes, in NC a former DMV commissioner helped his friend obtain an authentic title for a replica Shelby Cobra. And Broadway no longer does business in that state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

I'm also in Michigan and had to get a title for my '26. I had a very similar experience to Tony Barchock's. Had to have a County Sheriff's deputy out to verify that the engine number was the same as the one on the bill of sale, had to buy a title bond (even though technically I shouldn't have had to given the sale price), and then just waited for the title in the mail. It came eventually, took about 1 month.

It used to be a whole lot easier here. My dad and I titled cars with nothing but an out-of-state bill of sale a couple of times with no hassles at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

I have sitting in my yard a 1967 Ford Bronco, 6 Cyl, 4 WD, and all I have is a transferable
registration. At the time the Bronco was sold new, NY was not a Title state.

With old antique vehicles all you need to get a
transferable registration is a duly notarized
Bill Of Sale.

My experience in NY State is that it is very friendly to people registering an antique Auto.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 03:46 pm:

In Ontario it's as simple as an affidavit of ownership, a bill of sale (can be written in lipstick on a napkin for all they care) and an appraisal. Drop into the office, pay the tax on the higher of either the appraised value or purchase price and out the door with a title less than five minutes later. I'm sure it varies a little from place to place but it can't be impossible to generate a title for a car that's been forgotten for decades.

I imagine the 'advanced staff' in WI will take good care of you as long as you work together with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Marvin Worthless might have been an overstatement, but a NH title on an old vehicle has little to due with what is required by most states today.

On the other hand having documentation about the history of a vehicle can add to it's value.
I have the original registration for my 1919 T plus all the bills of sale that describe the line of ownership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 01:50 am:

Thanks to everyone for all the input!
I'm re-thinking about selling the '25 rolling chassis to now include the title. So, would that just add to 'sale-ability', or actually increase the value? I want to be fair to a buyer, but fair to myself too. It absolutely is both an expense and hassle to develop a title where it doesn't exist, but best for everyone legally. A body-shop owner and friend advised me to avoid a salvaged title, or to transfer a VIN. ('Illegal' isn't a sick bird - But does translate to jail time!) The 'Advanced Staff' at WI/DMV-HQ seems to know how to title whether the needs are for a 'Replica, Home-Built, Re-Constructed, Street-Modified', as an 'Antique', or to be as a 'Hobbyist'... "Get-R-Done!"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration