OT- Magneto with coil?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT- Magneto with coil?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 11:35 pm:

1922 Hupp R. Export model so it is fitted with a Magneto.
Owner claims he has added a coil for better spark!
Can this be done? I can understand changing to a distributor and coil arrangement but adding a coil to a Magneto?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 02:03 am:

Russell, The Holley huff magneto used on the Model K did just that. Today we call it a CDI ignition. They also sold 4 cylinder Holley Huff mags.
Old tractor magnetos were some times used as a distributer with a added coil also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 02:08 am:

Haven't they all got a coil on magnetos of some description? lawn mower engines, motor bikes etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux on Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 02:15 am:

Thanks Dean, I have much to learn. I thought the R was fitted with a Bosch DU4. My '26 Hupp A has a Bosch DU6 magneto.
I have just bought the R but won't be picking it up until after Christmas. He tells me he added a coil for better spark. Looking at my DU6 I can't work out how?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 06:14 am:

Probably added an external coil because of the internal one being bad. Many continental engines had this this conversion done on welders and such. Just add a coil and drill the cover for a coil wire, was a much cheaper option than a rebuilt mag. I have done several through the years. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration