HF Shop Crane again--sale on!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: HF Shop Crane again--sale on!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

Not to rehash the postives and negatives of Harbor Frieght stuff, but right now there is a "Friends & Family" coupon event that anyone can utilize, and one item is their shop crane at almost 1/2 off.
Here's the URL to the coupons (I hope this works!):

http://view.harborfreightemail.com/?j=ff261276706c&m=fe9512717066027874&ls=fe911 6707c63037f76&l=ff9c1572&s=fe8e16707c6c05797c&jb=ff2b15797d66&ju=fe9317767265067 b76&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5014b&utm_source=1021&cid=mEmail_s1021_c5014b& r=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

I purchased one just like that years ago and its worked fine. Had to replace the ram once, that's it. Back about 15 years ago it cost me $199.00.
BTW the 1000 rating is when the arm is fully retracted in the last peg. When fully extended its 500 lbs, still works well for pulling a T engine/transmission assembly. Folds up and takes little space too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

1 Ton = 2,000 pounds. :-)

I've been after the welding cabinet next to it. When they first came out they were $124.99 then jumped to $189. They've been floating around $169 and now I see they're down to $149. I can't seem to coordinate my 'Discretionary Income' with the sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

I have a harbor freight crane to pull a motor.
My son left one when he moved to Californey and i sold it for about #135 when I needed the room and then bought another one for around $100 with a discount coupon when I needed one to pull the motor from my Model A .
Life is Good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

HFT had that same 1-ton crane on sale year before last for $99.99 with a sale coupon. I bought one and it works great! Gotta' watch HFT on their prices and "so-called sales" as they do tend to juggle things around a lot!

By the way, for what it's worth, HFT has two (2) "shop cranes" or what I prefer to call "engine hoists",......this one ton one and a two ton one, and they look IDENTICAL! FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

I meant to add something to David D's post and forgot. The nice thing about both the one-ton and the two-ton shop cranes sold by Harbor Freight Tools is that unlike most others, when not in use, they fold up to a very compact unit that rolls over close to the wall and takes up very little storage space. Really, really nice, especially for a small garage or shop like mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Oops,....Richard mentioned the fold-up feature,....sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

Yep. Mine is folded up in the back of a storage shed. It is behind a couple of T motors, a table saw, a lawn mower, some T rear axle housings, and a large tub of T transmission parts. I need to get it out to pull a Model A motor. I almost would rather just go buy another one instead of digging the one out of the shed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

Paul - The sad thing is, I don't think you're kidding! I have a whole shop like that! Sometimes I wish it was bigger, but most of the time, I think I'm lucky it's not!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:30 pm:

Harold,

The sad thing is if I bought another one I would have 3 of them. Long story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:33 pm:

Hey Paul - Ya' got me thinking about that. As I recall, when I first bought that engine hoist from HFT, it only took me about 10 minutes to put that "Partial Assembly Required" HFT shop crane together.

Maybe a solution to the problem you mentioned, and as seldom as we use a shop crane (or engine hoist) it might make sense to take it apart and store it away "piece-by-piece" so that next time you need it in a year or two, you can just climb over stuff and get it out of your shed piece-by-piece! Think about it Paul, you really don't need three of them! Ha,ha,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

Ha,....we were typing at the same time. I see that you also envisioned 3 of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

Harold,

I own a house in Texas that my brother lives in. Try and guess what is in the storage shed in Texas...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

.........this conversation is going nowhere......... ;>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

Now I don't feel so bad about having lost, er misplaced, uh well here's the thing, I know it's in that storage room. It's just that I haven't seen it for so long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:43 pm:

We're doing it again,.....both talking at the same time,......

Yeah, but that one is all rusty and dirty and covered with "rodent defication"! Better just use the sale coupon at HFT and go ahead and get one more!

Actually, I have at least a half dozen of those cheapie caulking guns that you usually buy with each tube of caulk or RTF!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Yeah Mike,....you got in between Paul and me but you're talking about the same kind of thing! Guess we all sorta' go down the same road, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Harold,

That is funny. Between the 2 of us we have a dozen caulk guns and I bet neither of us could lay hands on one without looking for about 15 minuets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

Did you know, screwdrivers are considered perishable tooling?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

As are tape measures & 1/2 x 9/16" wrenches. Can't tell you how many of each I own, but can I lay a hand on one right now?????
NO!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 11:37 pm:

And feeler gauges, pliers (especially needle nose) and Allen, Alan, Allan Wrenches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 11:40 pm:

Oh, and working flashlights. And butter knives should come from the factory with the tips twisted from screws that are to tight in switch plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:03 am:

LOL, Mike, several of my table knives have that "screwdriver twist" on their tips! :-O

With all the screwdrivers I have, I should really just put a few in the silverware drawer so that they'll be handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Friday, December 12, 2014 - 11:40 am:

OT
I bought some clamps at HF for use when I am building hobby clocks and they work fine. I think the engine hoist if from HF,and it belongs to my Grandson. The engine stand is also from HF and it has the regular Model plate for the engine and it works good even withe the tranny and pan in place. Can't complain, and the prices are normally good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, December 12, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

Harold
This conversation is moving up with the help of a HF engine hoist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, December 12, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

It's interesting, how some of these threads seem to twist and turn in mysterious and unpredictable ways Fred! Sometimes, that's good, sometimes that's bad, and sometimes, you can't even be sure! But it DOES make things interesting and that's one of several reasons why this forum is so much fun!

Most of us think "MMO", if nothing else, has a pleasant wintergreen fragrance, and Jack D. thinks,....."it stinks"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, December 12, 2014 - 04:21 pm:

Harold,

I agree 100% with you (110% or even 101% is not possible)

The screwdriver tip drift had me laughing because most of us have been there even though we are supposed to "always use the right tool"

Just remembered it can't be 100 and 10 % (100.10) or 100 and one % (100.1) either

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, December 12, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Fred,

A 110% is possible. If you don't believe me ask my ex-wifes lawyer! And yes they can get blood from a turnip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt on Friday, December 12, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Wondering if this would work for an Model T engine.
It does swivel too.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/ForEverlast-450-lb-Hitch-Hoist/21684507

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Okay, I'll admit to causing thread drift often. I've been doing it for a couple years now. I learn a lot from the valid discussions on this forum but also look forward to the drift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 02:12 am:

I have problems with thread drift when I'm trying to thread a needle. . . . . .

Mike, you opened the door, I just went through it!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 07:43 am:

Good one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 07:54 am:

I bought an HBT engine crane years ago and replaced the cheap Chinese bolts with cheap Chinese pins, now my crane travels with me when I pick up T parts. It breaks down to manageable pieces that this old man can handle. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 09:20 am:

Anyone build one in the USA??Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 11:18 am:

To Paul & Harold and everyone else....

My motto is: It's hard to build a garage that's toooooo big!

The next thing is: Don't put your engine hoist/shop crane behind your spare engines and other stuff, put it IN FRONT of all that stuff. You'll probably need it first anyway. :-)

And last: Organize your shop and tools so you know where everything is, and put your tools, etc. back where they belong when you're done with them, so you'll know where they are the next time you need them.

I do it, and if I can, so can you.

Nuff said.

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration