OT Ford production of Gliders in WWII

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Ford production of Gliders in WWII
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, December 29, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

During WWII the Ford facility in Kingsford, MI, that produced the wood for the Ford "Woody", (and Kingsford charcoal)built more Gliders than any other facility in the country.
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/gliders/display.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 09:57 am:

Didn't know that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 09:45 pm:

Ford also produced hardwood flooring at or near the Kingsford plant. The flooring is stamped "Ford Motor Company" on the bottom side and was used in the Ford Company houses built for the workers. You can obtain a salvaged piece of this flooring at the Glider/Cornish Pump museum in exchange for a small donation.
jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:37 am:

My dad's cousin, from Fowlerville, MI, was training to be a glider pilot in Texas when he was killed due to a wing collapse. I remember going to his funeral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 12:52 pm:

Ford built the Waco CG-4, also called the Hadrian by the Brits, during the war. Gliders were the WWII solution to how to land relatively heavy equipment (Jeeps and howitzers) and concentrate airborne troops. They were wood, fabric, and steel tube construction and towed by C-47's and Halifax bombers. You had to be a special kind of man to fly into war in one of those things.

The Brits had a glider, the Hamilcar, that could carry a small tank, but the Germans hold the record for the largest glider, the Me-321 Gigant which had to be towed aloft either by three Me-110s or a wierd twinned bomber called the He-111 Zwilling.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration