I think I busted my front spring center bolt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: I think I busted my front spring center bolt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, December 29, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

The car is leaning and the spring is not center. So as long as I have to take it apart I'm going to replace the spring bushings. What is better, brass or steel bushings? 1919 touring car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees on Monday, December 29, 2014 - 08:49 pm:

Get the bronze bushings the vendors sell. Also, don't fear if the spring eyes are bigger than the new bushings. Mine basically fell through. Someone made me a custom set that had a larger outside diameter.

Also, try and get a NOS spring bolt. The head of the bolt is taller than the repo ones.

I went through the whole front end this past summer, and redid it all. Took the spring pack apart and blasted/repainted everything. I learned a lot doing it, you may find everything needs replacement also once you get it apart, but by all means don't mess with the steel bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, December 29, 2014 - 09:05 pm:

RV Andersen was working on reproducing the correct spring bolts, I don't know if they're ready yet.

If you can't find an NOS bolt with the taller head, you can use one of the replacement thin head bolts and put some square-cut washers under the head to make it thicker, like one clever member did for his car:

bolt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, December 29, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Thanks for the ideas, I will try and contact Mr Anderson in the morning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 11:41 am:

I have welded square nuts on top of the bolts to get more height but never thought of using home-made square washers under the head. Good idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

Bob Bergstadt has had NOS bolts on ebay lately. Contact him. I bought two recently.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration