Old photos, early travelers in national parks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old photos, early travelers in national parks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:08 am:

Great pictures Erich. I always enjoy seeing the White buses. Probably model 15-45's. Also the T's.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

My first thought when I saw the top photo was "I wonder if Richard E's White is in there?"
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

Hi Wayne. I think the top picture is Glacier Park. The logo on the side of the first bus looks like Great Northern Railroad. Here is a picture of my Yellowstone Bus back in the day.

Rich :0/*

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:16 am:

Laughing Out Loud!
Drive carefully my friend, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:58 am:

Richard - I guess you know an old goat when you see one, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:55 am:

Harold, it took me a while to figure out which old goat you were referring to. Especially after some recent posts.

Yes.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:01 am:

Holy smokes. How many hundreds of buses are there in this picutre? I can't believe they really needed that many of those things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:24 pm:

Seth, folks who have researched that claim 349 of the folding top buses were used in Yellowstone. As Royce mentioned in another thread (http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/419248.html) there was a fire that took dozens of them and they were replaced. I believe this photo and the large building behind the buses were after the fire took place.

Motor Coach Today Apr-June 2000 Vol. 7, No.2 had a very comprehensive article on the YPC buses and even gives the bus numbers of those lost in the fire. It is based on the YPC records that have been cared for since those years.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Erich-
I thought you would slip at least one of your sepia toned Jellystone pictures...

Love the Yellow busses.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 12:00 am:

I don't know what you are talking about Keith......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Somewhat related to this thread, did Northern Pacific stamp their tools with a NPR? I have an old pick head with that stamp. I thought some of you responding to this thread might know. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 05:21 am:

Pat,
That's quite likely. Most RRs marked their tools; most of my dad's picks & shovels had "SP" stamped in them. He claimed that stood for Sam Padula (a local character), but a lot of folks in Dunsmuir got their tools from "Sam" too! "SP CO" was common too, and I have some marked "BN" and even one wrench marked "BNSF" which is very recent, and I suspect, rather scarce. Got it at a yard sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:05 am:

A little OT, but does anyone have a picture of what Mount Rushmore looked like before it was sculpted?

Not a political question, just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Mark, you may be interested in this picture. It is the Grand Canyon before it was accidentally dug by a Jew who had dropped a penny down a gopher hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Does anyone know where this photo of a 1906 K was taken? Maybe Wanona?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Just curious but were the front fenders on the K made to have the dip or ???

Never noticed that before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:05 am:

John,
Yes, the 1906 tulip or Victoria body K had "plowshare" style front fenders. About 300 were built like this, then the 1907/08 straight side body came out (Late Oct 06). The wheelbase was also lengthened from 114 to 120 inches, along with numerous chassis improvements.

Front view of the 06:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:06 am:

I should have added, it looks like the K at the tree has an aftermarket hood with vents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Went to Wikipedia and answered my own question, here is a picture of the Mount Rushmore site in 1905:

pic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rushmore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:15 am:

How early did White start making those National Park busses?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Rob,
That looks very much like this location which was taken along the coast of California Redwood Highway. Two of my uncles took a tour from Los Angeles to British Columbia about 1930. They camped along the way and took this picture.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Charlie, The first paid bus transportation in Yellowstone was July 1st 1916 in White buses. The Park had been allowing passenger cars in August 1915. Auto permit No. 1 was issued to S. P. Eagle and a copy of it is on display at Nez Pierce creek pull-out.

I have seen a Post card of a Glacier Bus marked 1913. White only built the chassis and there were buses of some kind or other from as long as White was building cars. Scott was building bus bodies for the 16's and the Bender bodies were early 20's I believe.

The chassis's White build for the 15-45 Models had several parts with the word "PARK" cast into them: crankshaft, rods and front axle for instance.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Norm,
That looks like the same tree, thanks.

Charlie,
Not a park bus, but White was running a steam bus at the New York auto show in January, 1907:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

I was interested in seeing that type of hood on a K. This is another White steamer. 40HP 1910 I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

A little more thread drift here but I believe this is the same building in the photo above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Mt Rushmore with presidents crying over what has happened to our country since they were in office.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Norm, ... the good news is you and I can now get married ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

Rob,
That is a cedar tree in Stanley Park in the city of Vancouver, B.C, Canada.

Find a bunch more pics by Goggling "cedar tree Stanley Park in the city of Vancouver, B.C"
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Nice country but we missed the park.Got to see the steam driven clock but in stress we payd a big price in that city!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Richard Eagle, the White steam bus is on a lengthened Model F chassis, the car with the green hood is a 1909 Model M, owned new by Chris Dundee of Portland, OR and later of suburban Sacramento, CA, later by Dick Hempel of Emmett, Idaho and, later still, by Ron Thurber, of Boise, Idaho. It is now owned by Jay Leno.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

I am glad you recognized it Dan. Mr Hemple drove it in Sun valley on an HCCA tour in the 70's where I first was it. Later I rode in it taking video and photos for Ron on some steam car tours. He even let me polish some brass. I also got rides in the other big White that Mr. Williams sold to Mr. Leno. They were very gracious to me and it was wonderful to be around those Steam folks.

I did this painting from a Photo I took. It shows Dick Hempel with the cigar and Jim Crank on the left. I don't remember the other fellows name but he had a 1908 Reo. This was the McCall 1 & 2 cylinder tour in 1982 I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

I am glad you recognized it Dan. Mr Hemple drove it in Sun valley on an HCCA tour in the 70's where I first was it. Later I rode in it taking video and photos for Ron on some steam car tours. He even let me polish some brass. I also got rides in the other big White that Mr. Williams sold to Mr. Leno. They were very gracious to me and it was wonderful to be around those Steam folks.

I did this painting from a Photo I took. It shows Dick Hempel with the cigar and Jim Crank on the left. I don't remember the other fellows name but he had a 1908 Reo. This was the McCall 1 & 2 cylinder tour in 1982 I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

You know, this double posting is easier that it looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Richard, I had the "official" HCCA video (actually a bootleg copy made by Jim Crank) of that McCall tour until I loaned it out and never saw it again. There are so many stories about Hempell, Thurber, Williams and Crank in what, at the time, seemed like a Mat Hatters tea party when they all changed seats for a "clean cup", Hempel bought the (mostly) Model K from Herb Kiser, selling the M to Thurber, who sold his Stanley and Crank bought the OO from that other little character in Idaho. Lots of stories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

It was very much a Mad Hatter's Tea Party. Jim Crank converted my 16mm to video also. Yours was probably the one Mike Roberts put together.

I think all of us have fond memories of past tours and the characters that seem larger than life. I just watched a video made from film of the First VMCCA Meet in 1939. They were driving these amazingly well preserved little Brass cars around a racetrack, bouncing over logs and sand bags. All too incredible to describe.

I'm certainly glad others like you remember those things as I do.

Rich

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration