Chris Egsgaard's Racer Restoration Project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Chris Egsgaard's Racer Restoration Project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 11:13 pm:

A few issues back, there was a feature in the Vintage Ford about some of the vehicles and the airplane owned and operated by the late Chris Egsgaard. At the end of the article, there was a mention that the Hill Climb car owned by Chris had been located. Well, we have the car and today my brother Steve and I with the help of our dad "Fast Frank" Harris moved the car to my Model T Garage and we are going to start the restoration process :-)
Here are a few photos of the move. We have a lot of additional parts and "goodies" to really make this vehicle go.
Stay tuned for more...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 11:28 pm:

Is this one going to get the two up two down motor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 12:11 am:

Royce: This Frontenac is sitting on the stand right next to it ready to go in...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 12:14 am:

what is the duel distributor from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 12:16 am:

Mercer we've been told :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 12:17 am:

Or maybe Stutz... I can't remember for sure.
Big $ car anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 07:36 am:

Bill, Yes that Dual Delco distributor is likely to be off of a Stutz. A few other cars used the same unit and there is als a six-cylinder version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 07:39 am:

Bill, Yes that dual Delco is likely to be from a Stutz. A few other cars also used the same unit. A six-cylinder version was also produced. GREAT project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 09:05 am:

Are you going to reinstall the giant megaphone exhaust? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 10:31 am:

When the car was at the hill climb it had a Rajo head on it. The exhaust is proof of this, exiting from the left side. If your going to restore it, why the SR?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

I believe the car was constantly rebuilt by Chris depending on his mood, appearing in different "experimental" forms over those years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 12:48 pm:

Good observations! We have three engines to choose from. The Frontenac is the most flashy of course. You may also notice that the car lacked any rear suspension. We're looking at making a drivable car. Not just a straight line hill climber. The body will need some slight modification to allow for a rear spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Monday, October 06, 2014 - 07:03 am:

Here's a snap of Chris in his later years at Reseda wearing his King of the Hill crown. I remember the blue car body was hanging from the rafters in his barn at the time. I think this body is aluminum.King of the Hill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 11:18 am:

Today's project: My Dad & I are going to get tires for the 20" Buffalo wheels and change out the "rollers" that are on the car now. Hopefully, we'll also get the body moved forward on the frame... Stay tuned for more progress :-)

hood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

We made some progress today. The buffalo wheels are cleaned & re-painted black. New tubes & tires were purchased. Time ran out to get them installed.

wheels
hubs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 01:36 am:

Yes it was in the rafters when we purchased it from Chris

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 09:12 am:

What kind of wheels are on the car in the b&w photo? They look far to wide to be T wheels. This car is absolutely beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

We have some British wire wheels & hubs in our collection of parts. It may have been a later Ford rim on the back and a British wire wheel in front... Not sure.
The car was run in various configurations over the years. We're trying to put together a vintage racer... Not just a straight line hill climber. The Buffalo wheels seem like a good period correct choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

very cool. I cant wait to see how it turns out! beautiful car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 10:56 pm:

Some progress today:
My brother Steve came over & we got the bearing races all installed in the Buffalo hubs. Then we mounted all four 20" new Firestone tires on the rims.
Next step will be to install the hubs...

Buffalo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Carpenter on Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

Bill,

What size and make are the spark plugs in the Fronty engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Ken: The Frontenac has eight AC Commercial C86 Spark Plugs currently installed. That's how we got it. We have not run the engine... no report on how well they work.

ACC86

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Carpenter on Friday, November 07, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Thanks Bill ! Ken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, November 07, 2014 - 07:38 pm:

Ed in California . . . . When we got the car from Chris just six weeks before he died it had the spaghetti headers on it as when it ran the hill climb with the fastest ever time up Shell Hill. My buddy Howard Genrich hid them from me and put the megaphone exhaust in the pile because he likes showmanship and not performance. I couldn't find the correct headers and they were lost when Mr. Woo had his estate sale.

One year the car was painted orange and had the silly megaphone that only made noise and not speed and the next year it had the Spaghetti headers with equal length tubes and won the King of the Hill trophy with the fastest time ever up Shell Hill. At that time it was painted the blue color now on the body but you can see the orange paint bleeding through on the masking tape borders. It is the very same car.

We are trying to make the car street legal and easy to drive and have two engines. We already have over $25,000 invested in that BBR RAJO engine and if we ever sell the car it will be offered for sale in two configurations. One With the original BBR RAJO and the other with the SR Frontenac.

Speed and fame are both expensive ;~) Fast Frank

BBRBBR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

Keep up the good work Frank. looking good!

I'm just starting to get into some more on the twin SR Fronty after a long break renovating the house. (our house sold after 3 days on the market)

Feels good to be back doing the thing i like the most, working on Frontys.

I repaired the DO Fronty inlet I got from you and fitted it to the rebuilt engine. thanks again for helping me out.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

A little progress today. I installed the front hubs and 20" Buffalo wheels. Now for the backs...

buffalo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

To end this thread for 2014, here's a shot of how the progress has gone to date. All four Buffalo wheels on the car. Still need to fit the radiator and install the body properly.

body

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration