Car only starts when the left rear wheel is lifted and is in high gear. Any suggestions as to why?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Car only starts when the left rear wheel is lifted and is in high gear. Any suggestions as to why?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

car only starts when the left rear wheel is lifted and is in high gear.

Any suggestions as to why? I put 5w30 oil in it to lessen the load but still did not start.

When it did start with two wheels on the ground, it always creeps forward which I know is common. But is that a clue for you?

Thank you in advance. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 07:21 pm:

Here's a 2010 thread on fixing the "creeps":

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/167101.html?1287801276

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

Note: if the transmission is worn out, no amount of "proper" adjusting is going to make it easy to crank in neutral on a cold start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

If your T is in pretty much good working order it should start with out jacking up one wheel.

Maybe a defective starter or weak battery?

With the switch off and in neutral is it pretty hard to turn over with the hand crank?

If it creeps forward in neutral ( hand brake in a straight up position) it could be that the transmission bands are a little to tight or the low speed pedal is out of adjustment. You can determine this by doing the above.

Getting the bands correctly adjusted would be a good place to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, December 22, 2014 - 09:25 am:

Bob:

Lots of good information on transmission adjustments. Creeping ??? Some slow creeping but not excessive ??? Even a badly worn transmission will work fairly well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, December 22, 2014 - 09:30 am:

Robert,

Creeping is common, but not proper. As Bob says, a little creep is o.k., especially just after starting. However, it usually goes away a few minutes after starting, when the oil has warmed a bit. Creeping that prevents starting is too severe. You may need to check your high speed clutch adjustment, (the three fingers inside the trans.).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 09:20 am:

Bob

There is no logical reason why a transmission should keep the engine from starting EXCEPT if it is dragging on the engine.

Something in the tranny is maladjusted. Check both the adjustment of the bands and whether the clutch disengages completely with the lever upright or pulled back to the brake position.

Putting in 5W30 oil was a good start but won't help if the clutch or bands are dragging.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 11:59 am:

Park it in HIGH and pull the lever back just before starting. I've heard of folks pressing the LOW and REVERSE pedals down hard before starting to squeeze the oil out of them, but I don't bother with that. I do park with the lever forward and use 5W-30 oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 03:27 pm:

Our 1911 is a jack job for the first start of the morning. I know there is a problem with the clutch, but until I pull the motor out for a proper reason it will stay like it.

I just take a trolley jack and stand with us to every rally. No issue after the first start in the morning. I look at the bright side; I am warmed up after it and a cup of piping hot tea is indeed welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

Bob, don't keep us in suspense, what did you find wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

on the first read this reminded me of "Car Talk" and the guy calling in to say his car would not start if he went to the store and bought Vanilla Ice Cream, but would if he bought Chocolate...

(Vapor lock, the Vanilla was in a different counter and the time difference to get it allowed the vapor lock to set it)...or not....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Right now she appears as a fair weather gal. She turns over only when she is warmed up and her engine is well lubed and primed (crank her to prime the carb and circulate the oil......)

I have not tried what you suggest above yet, but I will have to just to troubleshoot for the future. Thanks again for your advice and help. Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration