Is This A Model T Tail Light?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is This A Model T Tail Light?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 10:50 am:

I just acquired this and would like to know is this a Model T tail light or is it a period light for any car?
Howard DennisTail Light Tail Light 1Tail Light 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 11:14 am:

If it's a factory light,it should have Ford script on the top of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 11:19 am:

To be honest these are the pictures provided to me and seller didn't mention any script so I'll have to wait till it arrives to see if it says anything.
Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 11:21 am:

Could also be faintly imprinted into the backside of the housing .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

Looks just like the tail light on my '22 Coupe. (doesn't mean mine is correct) It is attached to the rear tire carrier and the side light shines on the license plate. I was amazed how bright that dull looking lens is when it is lit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 12:47 pm:

Looks like the seller used one of his wife's curtains as a back drop.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 01:23 pm:

I have had several of those lights. I always figured they were aftermarket lights for cars, trucks and trailer sold by parts stores back in the t days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

I have seen otherwise identical lamps either with script or without script. I Don't think Ford generally sold them for everyone else to use, so I figure the script ones are definitely original Ford.
I have seen original advertisements showing what appear to be identical lamps offered for sale to everyone. I have also seen identical lamps that appeared to be original on enough non-Fords to believe other manufacturers did use them. So I know that without a script, they are correct on non-Fords.
Many script lamps have a deep, heavy, stamping of the script. Many of them have such a light stamping of that script, that it is nearly impossible to paint it, even lightly, and have it be visible when on the car. I discovered that the one on my coupe had the Ford stamping when I went to repaint it while adding a second tail-lamp for night driving. I had thought it was a non-script lamp when I looked at it closely before (and the paint was thin).
It could be interesting to try to narrow down the time-frames when the light, medium, and heavy, stamping was used. If anyone wants to begin keeping notes? My April '24 coupe's "may" be original tail-lamp had a very light stamping.

The point of all this, is that I suspect Ford probably used lamp housings both that were stamped with a Ford script, and ones that were not stamped. I do KNOW that they used lamp housings that the stamping could not be seen once painted and on the car. So unless you are restoring a car mostly for show? And absolutely MUST have a strong, visible, Ford script? (Simply for show, mind you?) The lamp is correct for early '20s model Ts, use it and enjoy it.
Drive carefully, and have a Happy New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 08:42 pm:

Our Canadian sourced cars rarely had script tail lights. The after market replacements usually had a 5/16" coarse thread bolt with the usual small head.
Did US lenses have a small 1/2" flat spot in the centre of the lens? Ours did, but many have been replaced, often with a lens from kero lamp used at roadworks sites, same size and colour but without the flat spot.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 12:47 am:

A lot of the tail-lamps (both script and non-script) have the lens with that flat spot. A lot of them (both) do not have the flat spot. Since lenses can be easily changed, and I have not made any effort to track, trace, or catalog, them. I have no idea what is correct for when or not? As for the two lamps on my coupe? One has the flat spot, one does not.
That is an excellent additional question. I wish I had a good answer. Big help. Aren't I?
Maybe Dan T knows this one?
Drive carefully, and have a Happy New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 07:50 am:

So the thinking is that these tail lamps are period correct and can be used on cars from the '20's ? I know some of the Ford stamping on some of my parts were not set in very deep and after you paint it they are very hard to see or disappear. Examples would be on the edge of my running boards Ford had stamped "Made in U.S.A. Ford" and the same on the radiator but they were so small and very lightly imprinted I didn't see them until I striped off the paint. I can just see them now that I repainted but I know where to look for them too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

I assume the dies dulled after some use and like the running boards were crisp and sharp at first. New dies were put in use as needed at random times. Eventually maybe the need for the name to stand out was not as important.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

It's a T tail light if you want it to be. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

Just got the light today and it has a "Victor" trademark stamp on it.
Howard Dennis1

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration