Non Ford carb. question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Non Ford carb. question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Carter G-RJH 08 carb. Does anyone have pics, diagrams or any type info on how to hook up the accelerator, choke and throttle to this 1920's era carb.?I will appreciate any type info I can get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Up we go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Don, this fits a 1929-31 Chevrolet according to Google so you might be better served asking on a Chevrolet Forum. Meanwhile I'm searching for more info.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Here you go; Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Don, Try this link for internal pictures:
http://1931chevrolet.com/specs8.htm

I also found a picture showing the choke and throttle cables, accelerator rod in on backside
Howard Dennis31

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

Thanks to Howard for finding, somewhere on the net, the above pic of the Carter G-RJH 08 Carb. Can anyone confirm that the top cable is to the choke and the lower is from the throttle. I will sure appreciate any feedback

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Don, even though I don't know for sure my guess is the top cable is the throttle because it is also connected to the diecast external accelerator pump shown with the rubber cover.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rusty Berg - West Bloomfield, MI on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Don

I've got some experience with this carburetor as I have a `31 Chevy in my garage. This carb was used on 1930 and 1931 Chevies (the 1929 is very similar, but has a different accelerator pump). The model name for the carb is RJH-08, and there is another reference used, 150S which relates to the size of the accelerator pump used.

The bottom cable is for the choke. The top is for throttle control on the dashboard. What you cannot see in the picture is that on the backside there is another lever arm which the foot throttle rod connects to.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for reading,

Rusty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Thanks so much Rusty, this clears up the problem, now when the temp gets a bit higher than zero, off I go to the carb. Again thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Need to find someone that has parts and can repair my Carter G-RJH-08 Carb. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Need to find someone that has parts and can repair my Carter G-RJH-08 carb. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:13 am:

Don Rossi in Loveland, Colo----I think. I looked and couldn't find his info. I'll look in the shop tomorrow. He rebuilt one for my 29 Chev a few years ago. DO NOT LET THAT CARB SIT WITH ETHANOL GAS IN IT. That carb has no choke butterfly. It has a pot metal part that looks like an upsidedown acorn with a shoulder machined in it. The choke arm works the "acorn" like a miniature clutch arm works a throwout bearing. It goes up and plugs the throat causing the tube running through it to suck gas from the bowl and start. The potmetal part seizes to the steel tube and the actuator breaks the shoulder. Don has the special tools and the parts. Not cheap--mine ran aprox $450 plus shipping each way. You might find him through the Vintage Chev Club of America website, or from "The Filling Station"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Mike, thanks for the info. The choke is exactly as you describe it as an upside acorn and mine has the skirt broken off (about 50%), that is what I need repaired. I will try to find specifics on Don Rossii and go from there, again thanks to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rusty Berg - West Bloomfield, MI on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Don,

I used to live in Indianapolis, and might have been able to give you a hand, as I have gone through a rebuild of this particular type of carburetor. Unfortunately it is now a 5 hour drive or so.

You can buy a new carburetor choke cone and venturi from the Filling Station (www.fillingstation.com). It is a bit of a trick to get the lever arm off (without breaking it), and since the standpipe is pot-metal as well, the two parts might have been bonded together. You can also buy a new standpipe from the Filling Station, but you need a special tool to un-thread the standpipe from the base of the carb.

I am not sure if Don Rossi is still around. The technical expert for 1931 Chevrolet's in the VCCA is a gentleman by the name of Forrest "Chip" Sweet (I believe, my memory is a little foggy). He has offered to rebuild the carbs in the past; it is not a cheap service, but you do get what you pay for. You could put a posting on the VCCA forum board (http://vcca.org/forum/) and see what you come up with. Chip I believe posts under the name "Chipper" and there is another gentleman who posts under the handle "Junkyard Dog" who might be able to provide some further help.

Sorry I could not be more helpful,

Thanks for reading,

Rusty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rusty Berg - West Bloomfield, MI on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

Don,

As a quick follow-up, I was able to confirm that Don Rossi has passed away.

Thanks for reading,

Rusty

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration