TT by Rail - a painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: TT by Rail - a painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, December 29, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

Jay posted a wonderful photo a while back.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/482836.html?1412025057

You can't beat these old photos but I try

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 01:21 am:

very nice Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 02:54 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 07:12 am:

Richard,

I always enjoy your paintings! We stopped by the "Norman Rockwell Behind the Camera" display that is on loan to a local museum in Columbia SC. They showed how he took several different photos of subjects, objects, etc and then wove them into the story he wanted his painting to share. See https://www.columbiamuseum.org/exhibitions/norman-rockwell/ for one illustration.

I see that you also changed up the Ton Truck cab and bed from the original photo. Is there also a story to the J.Finley & Son on the side of the bed?

Again beautiful painting! And thank you for sharing it with us.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cutoff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 07:27 am:

Love it. Nuff said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

Thanks guys.

Hap, I've always enjoyed the Norman Rockwell paintings and the fact they refer to him as an illustrator. We have a fellow in our local club whose sister used to pose for him.

I thought a lot about a name for the side of the truck and ended up choosing some letters I liked. No good story to go with it. The name James Finlayson ran through my head as I was painting it. He battled Laurel and Hardy in many of their films.

Happy New year to all of you.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

I think it's a wonderful piece myself too. There is one detail (only a RR nut would notice it) OK, three now that I think about it. The trucks on the car you did are Andrew type, which would not likely be under such a small car. If you look at the original picture, it has arch bar trucks (Andrews are cast steel sides, archbars are bolted up from flat stock). The other two items, is the lack of uncoupling lift levers on the end of the car (almost hidden in the picture) and if you note, there is a person in the picture at the brake wheel, so you're missing the brake wheel--an AAR code violation!!! Horrors!!!
Like I said, only a RR nut would see that stuff!! I think it's a wonderful piece, and I'd proudly hang it in my train room!
BTW, in the photo, there's a pile of new ties behind the car, wonder if they were using the TT to build the line or a siding. Only the shadow knows!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 03:50 pm:

Thanks for the info David. I did look at a lot of train pictures but I don't have the background to make sense of them. I do know Model T's and shudder at the lack of correct detail in many paintings of them. For now I'll call it artistic license. I might go back and add the brake wheel and revise some things.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

Rich - Fantastic painting! I love it! Steve Tomaso recently pointed out a strange omission in the original photo,.....no battery in the usual place just inside the little running board in the photo. I noticed that you caught that one too, and dismissed the whole issue in your painting by wisely deciding that the TT really should carry two spare tires and what a convenient place to carry them! You're a smooth "T" guy Rich,.....ha,ha,.....really smooooth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

Thanks Harold. I can't take credit for the TT. It came from this Shorpy photo posted a while back.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/18759

I tipped up the bed and changed it a little.

Glad you like it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

Richard,
Quite alright--as I said, I like enough that I'd hang it on my train room wall!
Probably some of the visual info you needed is buried in historic photos--arch bar trucks went out of favor back in the 30s, but were common on narrow gauge railroads, logging lines, and other short lines struggling to keep running. I once helped rebuild a flat car very much like that one, and some years ago at one of the California RR Museum railfairs a group built one with help for visitors (you could drill a hole, or make a cut, all with period tools. By the end of the show, it was a complete, authentic car. The metal hardware was from cars that had rotted away to nothing. I thought it was one of the coolest displays there--lots of "hands on" experience.
For more interesting stuff of that time period, check out "Carter Brothers" a San Francisco Bay Area railroad car builder from the 1880s, www.spcrr.org
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

That's a great site, David. I can see several details that I was looking for.
Thanks again.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

Revised today. More correct thanks to David Dewey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 05:25 am:

Ah, much better!! Now where to find a print to put up in the train room??
:-)
Glad I could be of some help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Beautiful!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration