Model T Light Dates Sought

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Light Dates Sought
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

Just acquired this Model T light fuel bowl. The cupped bottom has very faint patent dates, 2 1914 2 1915 1 1916 and 1 1917. What year Model T's was this used on?
Howard Dennislight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

Howard assuming it originally came with a Model T Ford, it should fit the standard oil lamps 1915 to 1926 side or tail lamps. With a patent date of 1 1917 you would expect to see it on a calendar year 1917 or later car and not the earlier ones. See: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#lamps for additional information.

If you look on the wheel that turns the wick sometimes you will find the maker there. Of course that may or may not have been the same maker for the bottom as the wick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 11:13 am:

I believe that E&J was the only maker to put their ID on the wick adjusting knob. Unmarked ones would be either Brown or Corcoran/Victor. I think Canadian ones were made by Clasco (or Classco, not sure of the spelling). I don't know how they marked theirs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

If I may add a few more items to the discussion... What years were the types of reflectors (round vs squared), chimneys (with vent holes vs w/o), and burner variations used?
Thank you for your inputs! Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 04:18 am:

The kerosene bowls can have a flat bottom, small indent, a little deeper indent, or even an almost square indentation about a quarter inch deep. I don't know with any certainty when the changes were. But I think that generally, the deeper the indentation? The later the lamp (or bowl rather). If I recall correctly, the nearly square, deep, indented bowl I had said "Ford O" on it, indicating a very late lamp part.

Part of the problem with dating these model T lamps is that most of the parts on this entire series of oil lamps were made backwards (and thereby forwards) compatible. Nearly all the chimneys, and nearly all the bowls, for nearly a half dozen manufacturers will interchange from mid-1915 through the end of production onto any year main body (with some minor fitting issues). So many of the lamps around (and I know a few I have) have a mix of parts years on them. I am trying to put together a mostly correct set for my '15.

The round reflector in the photo above has been identified as for mid-1915 into early 1917 (although I tend to believe they went just a bit later). The square reflector went from somewhere about 1917 ('18?) until the end of production. There were several variations on these reflectors for tail-lamps as well as some odd later lamps that had clear door lenses and a smaller clear side lens. Some of these had rear-body mounting bolts, some had side of body mounting bolts. Some of these oddities have been claimed to be special lamps for truck use.

The chimneys with the holes all around the bottom are for 1915 and 1916 (maybe very early '17). Without the holes are for everything from early '17 through end of production. The elimination of the holes was to reduce the problem of the lamp fire blowing out in the wind and/or at speed. I have seen many (and had several) intact lamps with round reflectors and no holes in the chimney. I have seen far too many to personally believe they were the victims of parts swapping. So I believe they were built that way for more than a short time.

As for the fonts? I don't have any real idea when that change was made. All of the lamps I have had used the bulkier, round topped, type.
Drive carefully, and have a Happy New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 04:55 am:

Here, maybe this will help, as far as I know it's correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Thanks Martin, That helps me out.

Howard Dennis

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration