What I did today on the speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What I did today on the speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

I cut out the seat frames, and the rear deck wood. Then I clamped and glued all day. There are 42 clamps on the wood and another 10 for the windshield. That's 52 clamps :-) That's a lot of weight on ole Lizzie. :-) I know the 2014 forum will be laid to rest soon, so this is just a quick update. Ill start reposting the speedsters progress next year. Happy New Year to everyone ....

gle work

still need to cut and notch the side pieces shown below

glue work 2

glue work 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 09:55 pm:

The three strips laying on the seat frame are the "batten" boards for the three permanent floor boards. They mount to the bottom side of the floor. The center long "batten" will also be part of the support for the battery box on the driver side and the tool box on the passenger side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 10:41 pm:

Keep the posting and pictures coming.
Many of us look forward to them.
I can't wait to see what the rear part will look like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

Aaron, Here is a pic of a quick mock up I did for a size study, and a period ad and photo that is the same basic body as I have.. Mine will be lower, have a skirt to hide the frame and have Disteel Disc wheels ...

mock up

photo body

ad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

Very nice work. The wood looks great. I will look forward to the future posts.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 11:29 pm:

Looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 12:28 am:

Keep up the good work.
And please keep the updates and pictures coming.
You have made a lot of progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 09:46 am:

...and has indeed come a long way since I last saw it ! :-)

Great work Donnie! Have a happy New Year too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:06 am:

Does not seem like it has been less than a year. But those are taken at last years Chickasha. Notice my "not for sale" I had to write on top to keep the hoards of interested buyers "at bay" Also notice my electric blanket controller and the corner of my air mattress bed. If you "camp" at Chickasha the electric blankets are real nice to have :-) :-) I put the body right in my "bedroom" :-) :-) I posted on my "Chickasha Dream List" last year I was looking for an original body. I got all kinds of "Sure you are" "Good luck with that one" "Ha Ha Ha" ect. But it was the first thing I bought. Just before daylight, while we were in the "pre line up" See ya"ll in next years forum ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:20 am:

Donnie -- This post is from another current thread:

I use this saying when I want to increase HP or speed: "To increase speed, add lightness"

I don't understand your choice of Red Oak for all that wood in the body. It's one of the heaviest woods we have around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

Mike, there is not that much wood in the car. It looks like it but not really. When Im done with all the wood I could still pick up the pieces if all in one pile and carry it as one load. All the ads I have seen state the frameworks were made from oak or ash. Ash or white oak would have been my first choice, red oak third. But White Oak and Ash is very expensive in 6/4 and 8/4 lumber and almost impossible to find local in anything larger than 4/4, even by special order. I had a lot of red oak and some white oak left from our saw mill days. It is all at least 15 years old as well as some 75 to 100 year old boards salvaged from old houses. So that is what Im using. It has all been worked into useable size stock (pre cut to close measurements) and then stabilized for at least one month in the wood heated shop. Then it is final cut to size, burnt finished (burnt with torch to remove soft grain for my aging technique) Then its final finish is a soaking in quik poly to seal the wood water proof. Ill post about the finish later. Then it is assembled. Im pretty sure when Im completely finished with the body I will still be able to pick it up by myself and move it around. Im not really building a "racer" Im building a "gentlemans speedster" Now all Ill need to do is figure out where Ill find a "gentleman" :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

The third picture sure looks like RHD, but the old photo is LHD. What's going on. In either case it looks great. I wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

Tony, It is LHD. It is just an optical illusion. If you look at the 3rd picture you can see the steering shaft and the lowering wedge at the steering lower bracket on the left side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

Mike your weight comment got me thinking. So I did a little research from period ads, on the weight of the bodies. They are all in the 225 to 230 lb range for my style bodies. They almost all say made of ash or oak framing. The shipping weights also say "crated ready to ship" So I believe that is the weight including the crate. The weights are for complete bodies, with upholstered seats, windshields with glass and tops. I just do not see how this body is going to weigh more than 150 to 175 lbs complete. It may fool me, but Ill weigh it when done just out of curiositys sake ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

looking good Donnie!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

Donnie,

Ask your wife. I will bet she can locate a nice AR Gentleman.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

John, Im not going there :-) That could get me in trouble, :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration