Some photos of disc wheels on a car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Some photos of disc wheels on a car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 08:00 am:

Would they be Disteel wheels?
Would Disteel be short for disc steel ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 09:36 am:

Herb

Those wheels aren't Disteel brand disc wheels.

The Disteel for Ford are 3 lug, special front and rear 3 lug hubs to fit the Ford, and with tube valve stem on the backside of the disc, and clincher rimmed.

Those pictured in your post are 4 lug, have different shape and have valve stems outside, and one set seems to have demountable rims.

Disteel was brand name, not sure about the root of the name, but could be from the fact these wheels used two pieces of disc put together, so the word 'di' could be two.

The mfg was Detroit Pressed Steel Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:42 am:

Because of the raised center portion, those discs on the coupe with the gal at the door look like Harvey brand disc wheels. Like how the rear ones have the chains draped around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 11:07 am:

Dang those are ugly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

My late Father told me once that in the late 20's there was a guy in town who would adapt Chevy disc wheels for Fords. The downside was that they would amplify all the Ford sounds, transmission and rear end to the point that one could hear the user driving through town from several blocks away... He always thought they were "good looking" and added a sporting look to the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

I am with Tim, .... they just look WRONG on a T. Maybe on a Twin Six Packard, but not on a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

My brother has a set of Buffalo disc wheels and needs one hubcap. It has a Buffalo embossed on it.
Does anyone happen to have one? Charles Rose
217 434 8661 home
217 257 7974 cell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

Jim

Is this want he is wanting? Heavy brass, fits T hub threads, was originally nickel plated, nice shape. PM me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

These are Michelins and Yes, I'm still looking for a spare wheel !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

I have a set of USW 21" disc wheels for T. They have a demountable lock ring rim and loose clamps to hold the rims on (which have the USW cast in them). I got really lucky and found a 5th rim. They mount to T wood wheel hubs and have spacers to make up the space. I've never seen another set or pictures of them. I keep hoping!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Disteel did make 3 lug and 4 lug wheels for Fords, however the 4 lug wheels & hubs are far less common.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration