26-7 horn button Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26-7 horn button Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 09:23 am:

I have a problem with the install of the horn button ,when I tighten the nut that holds it to the column the button locks up , and there is a gap at the sides , any ideas to repair this problem?
thank u Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 09:50 am:

Can't truly answer your problem but the button you show is not for 26-27. It is older. You might try the correct button.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:03 am:

Appears to be a "reproduction" - you might try to find a good original strap then utilize the new insides - might take care of the gap issue and as Jim stated - the button itself is an earlier one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:30 am:

The repro bracket is fair, but not really like the original in fit to the column. Plus the insulator for the terminals or the button can be problematic, as it's diameter that controls the closure of the split bracket. You can try to reduce the OD some of those parts.

Comparison of new button to old, this is the pre '26 style.

Helps to be sure of what year button you are using,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:53 am:

We make everything pictured above, except the horn button and bracket in the lower left hand corner. As soon as our supply of the 18-22 switches are depleted, we will make no more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 11:10 am:

When I asked this question a while ago crickets were chirping. Maybe you should start helping the younger generation along with the good old boys club if you want the T hobby to survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 09:17 pm:

I got the 26-7 pictured , and that's the one I got but, it does not fit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

this is the right button for the 26-7 they put the wrong top on mine and all the others according to the picture you will see

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Lorenzo, if the split bracket has a big gap when fastened and the horn button is held tight, there is something wrong with the combination of the two.

In my case the horn button was deformed, it appeared to have shrunk with age. It was loose and would tilt inside the bracket when pushed. The horn would only sound if it was pushed very hard.

I built up the base with JB Weld and sanded it round again which fixed the tilting problem. A small sheet metal screw threaded into the center hole allowed a fine adjustment for the moment the contact is made. It has a nice feel to it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Thank you all for the input
And a happy new year to all
lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Does anyone sell the insulator/switch ass. I see I can order the wiring harness and a button or a complete ass. .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration