Cleaning threads on oil pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cleaning threads on oil pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:51 am:

Does anyone make a tap for the oil plug hole ? The pan that I want to use has been setting around with out any plug in it and the threads are in bad shape. They would probably be ok if I could run a tap in them. It would not be difficult to re-thread it differently or weld on the repair kit,just was wanting to save the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 12:12 pm:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Item #2595A366

$50.79 plus shipping

A bit spendy but cheaper than a new pan. The same size tap is used on the rear axle drain/fill plug, so if you do that too it's only about $25 per hole :<)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

It's a 3/4"-24 Tap

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

$27.50 at VME.

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Special-Pitch-Taps-17-32-to-1-1-8/1270.h tml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 07:20 pm:

Or you could go this route;

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3080RK.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

The only problem with that repair kit is the "King Kong" hex size of the chaser insert - it looks quite hideous hanging under the crankcase. I've used them before and although one is instructed to epoxy the insert in, I recommend using two wrenches to change the oil - one for holding the insert and the other for removing the drain plug.

I have an original Stevens crankcase & rear axle housing rethread kit with slightly oversize hex head plugs - looks just like an original drain /fill plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Yes, Steve, its a wonder why someone doesn't make a repair kit that doesn't look so hideous.
Someone looking for a quick easy fix used the kit on a narrow 1910 pan. He also smashed the heads of the rivets holding the pan arms cracking the pan in the process. Why someone would do such poor repairs on such a valuable pan is beyond my understanding. I removed the drain insert, brazed up the hole, filed it to the right contour and rethreaded it to standard. I had to replace the pan arm rivets with oversize shank rivets after machining the heads to match the original. Since the inside of the rivet area was filled with spider cracks, I sealed the cracks and cosmetically brazed the arms to the body of the pan. All in all quite a job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Thanks so much for the info.I will order one.:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration