Old Photo Nelson Wharf Scene California 1920's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo Nelson Wharf Scene California 1920's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 01:20 pm:

Had to resize this photo to 181kb to fit here. I will post it on the MTFCI forum on the Model T Era Original period Photos thread at it's original 453kb size so you can see the increase in resolution that the MTFCI offers for photos that can be enlarged without getting grainy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

Jay, was this port in Oroville on the Feather River?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

A possibility of it being an Australian Photo. Looks very much like it. Some of our Aussie fellows who know number plates may know where it was taken.

By the way HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

Best regards, John Page , Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

I just went with the title already given to the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

That's a really cool pic. The truck on the right looks like it has done a lot of hard work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

Right hand drive on what I see. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

Well it looks like the photo is from Australia and I miss read (ca. 1920's) in the title as California 1920's. Chalk up another senior moment for me to close out the year with. HAPPY NEW YEARS everyone!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 06:00 pm:

There is a Nelson in New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 04:03 am:

Not likely to be Nelson in Australia. It is on the Glenelg River in South West Victoria and is a sleepy little fishing/tourist destination.

Nelson in New zealand is more likely. At the higher resolution the signwriting on the older truck may be readable.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 05:13 am:

John,
Feather River below Oroville has a sandbar the prevented riverboats from going to Oroville except in high water--only three boats are known to have made Oroville, and one of those arrived in a flood, tried to come back another trip and couldn't make it. Railroad arrived in 1864, so no need to dredge the river & that was the end of steamboating in Oroville.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 05:40 am:

New Zealand did use a number plate system of three digits, a separator and three digits. Plates were changed every three years for new ones, the new plates had a different shaped separator and were a different colour combination. The separator was a dot, or a star etc.

The four wheel railway wagon suggests Aus or N.Z. rather than USA too, and the coupler is definitely a type used in N.Z. As well as that, I am sure that the railway gauge is 3' 6" as were all N.Z. railways.

I believe that Nelson, N.Z. is the location.

Dane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Yup, my bad. NZ it is. I found a Nelsons landing near Oroville but it must have been for fishing or maybe a ferry landing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

When traveling in backwater countries, I always enjoy going down to the docks to soak up the
atmosphere of 100's of men manually unloading cargo ships and loading up their trucks like this.
Lots of hollering and movement. You can bet they have no trouble falling asleep at the end of the
day !!! It is a real old world experience. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Growing up I read a number of books that dealt with ships like that and adventures on the high seas in about the same time period. Think I might have a couple on my book shelf.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration