RHD parts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: RHD parts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:08 am:

On a 25 RHD car is the drag link (goes from the steering arm to the tie rod) Different from a LHD? Can one just turn the LHD link around and use it? Thanks Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:29 am:

I haven't got a 25 parts book but any earlier lists them as 2725-B for LHD and 2725-R for RHD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 07:31 am:

I think you'll find the ball sockets are at different angles. Without modification, I am pretty sure it's impossible---as stated above by two different part numbers.

If it doesn't have to look 100% stock, you can cut the ends off and sleeve them with some DOM steel tubing of the appropriate length and weld it all back together. I did this for my shortend axle/steering on my tractor, but may do the same on my '25 pickup because it makes a much beefier piece less prone to bending, and John Q Public will never spot the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:30 am:

I did a RHD truck a few years ago, and I'm working from memory here, but it seems to me that I used an earlier end on it which had a straight-shank ball, rather than the tapered one. That allowed me to turn a LHD drag link around and use it for RHD. You can't do that with the later tapered end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Thanks Mike. That is what I was planning to do. RHD stuff is hard to find in the "Heart of Dixie". Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Mike
I think you are thinking tie rod, and yes that would work. I made a tapered bushing and silver brazed it in. The RHD drive I did was a '13 and the drag link ends are threaded on on those cars so re orienting the drag link ends was easy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Les -- You are correct, of course. As I said, I was working from memory, and that's getting more risky all the time. :-) It seems to me that the drag link was reversible, but it has been a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Les has nailed it. The only problem with using an earlier drag link with the adjustable end may be in getting the correct length. The tie rod is reversible with the straight shank ball, or do as les did.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Thanks Guys: I was planning on the straight shank ball. Glad to know that all I need to do is reverse the tie rod. Dan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration