T-1902 Screwdriver question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: T-1902 Screwdriver question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Is the screwdriver shown in this listing the correct T-1902 screwdriver?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151529854815?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Would appear to be, like one that found by me.

Here is the Ford print. Different makers could have varied some, but the main features are there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

Thanks for the help. I had a copy of that blueprint somewhere but I misplaced it at some point. The one in the listing looks as though it has had the "standard" life for a 100 year old screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Richmound IND, on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Do I remember this detail wrong? The square shaft goes all the way thru the handle. If that statement is correct then the eBay auction is not a Ford screwdriver as the end is round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

I have owned several of these and all have the shank going all the way through the wooden handle. So the end of the shank can be seen at the top end of the handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Jerome:

I think if you look more carefully you might notice that the shank of that ebay screwdriver is in fact square but the ends often appear somewhat rounded because during its life the screwdriver was likely used as as chisel and hit with a hammer which tends to round off the end and also chip off the handle. I do think however that a more close examination will show that the handle is in fact hard maple and not oak. I have seen a few and they did not appear to be white oak or red oak but did appear to be hard maple. It could have been hickory too I suppose but the handles are too smooth and close grained to be oak or ash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:57 am:

I have a perfect one in front of me. It has the original black paint on the handle, and the top portion is indeed square. I found it in an antique store for $3!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

I keep looking in here to see what a screwdriver from the year 1902 looks like. After more than 45 years in this hobby you would think I would be used to those part numbers by now?

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

It was a cruel trick to make that shaft go all the way through the handle... anyone who has used one to check for spark may know what I'm talking about. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration